EMGs.. Sterile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EMGs.. Sterile?

I used EMGs a lot back in the 80's when I was playing mainly metal. Worked great for that. It's when I started to play other styles where I needed more dynamic control, EMGs just seem to push the front end of the amp too hard, they just don't breathe. The singles seem to have an artificial sounding tonal quality to them, hard to explain unless you directly a/b them with passives (like silicon boobs vs. real boobs - LOL!).

I recently put a set I had laying around in a beater guitar just for the hell of it, and it reminded me why I went back to passives. I think if I were playing Metal exclusively, I would probably have the guitars set up with EMGs, just because they work so well for that.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      (...)hard to explain unless you directly a/b them with passives (like silicon boobs vs. real boobs - LOL!). (...)

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha that's a great comparison [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I've been playing alot of blues and rock lately..

I also listened to the soundclip on their website and I didn't like something about the sound, I couldn't place my finger on it.. so I just might go with passive pickups, I've been thinking of the duncan SH-4 jb or a duncan custom too. It's so hard to decide! [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

I LOVE EMG'S, [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] ... but I'm a metal player...
        Hardware: all black, all the time.

Comment

Most of the people who would claim that EMGs are sterile are vintage snobs, or people who wouldn't normally use a humbucker in the first place, IMO. Some people like them, some don't, but it's hardly a 'sterile' pickup, IMO.

EMG 81 - Designed to be a high output noiseless pickup, but is actually not very high output... more upper middle of the road. Very sharp and bright, and can get that very controlled, hardcore thrash crunch. Best used in environments where the signal chain is going to be heavily processed because of the lack of noise from the internally amplified low output passive ceramic magnet humbucker. Also great plugged directly into solid state amps. I find it just a bit lifeless plugged directly into a tube amp, but in mostly a good way.

EMG-85 is a high output internally amplified passive elnico magnet humbucker designed to be noiseless, but with a much warmer EQ. It's hotter than an 81, and has more growl and bite to it, especially when playing technical death where passages may be strings of individual notes instead of power chords. It still is pretty brite with leads, but not like the 81. This is my favorite pickup of all time and I prefer this plugged directly into a high-gain tube amplifier. I think it has a bit too much low end for use in highly processed rigs, as it tends to muddy up if the low end isn't lessened by some EQing especially at the front end of a stacked signal chain.

They both have great clean sounds with the volume rolled back... the 85 a lot more warmth, the 81 being sparkly... Roll the tone down and you can get some great blues/fusion/rock tones out of them. The 85 tends to sound more dirty but still gives a nice deep sound, and the 81 can sound really light and airy.

I find the 81 great for lead, and the 85 better suited for rythm.... In my one hum guitars, I prefer an 85, but in dual hum, the 85b/81n combo is about as good as it gets, IMO.

I don't have much experience with the 89, but from what I understand it's very similar to the 85, but with the coil-tap ability to use as a single coil pickup. It seems to be popular with people who need more sonic versatility then they're used to getting out of an 81 or 85.

Personally, I don't need the tone knob on an EMG, and prefer the volume to be all out in a dual battery 18v configuration... slightly higher output, less compression, more headroom, and better articulation, and more natural/even distortion... One of my customs will have a PA2 booster, so I'll be interested in hearing how that will effect the front end of my Mesa Dual Recto.

I definitely think that the EMG 81/85/98 are definitely pigenholed as being a metal only pickup, and are both underrated and overrated at the same time.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

85 in the bridge, 81 or 60 in neck, roll of the volume and it cleans up extremely nice if you're through a fairly loud tube amp IME.

Comment

xenophobe> Thanks for the great explanations!

Comment

I am a huge EMG fan, but recently I bought an explorer from Pete (lhrocker) that had a Distortion in the bridge and a 496r in the neck. I've been going back and forth between it and my LPC with EMG's. And I have to say, I'm slowly swaying back towards passives again. They have an airy feel to them, and do seem more alive than EMG's do. I do like EMG's though, don't get me wrong. But I think my tastes are changing back to what they once were. All I can really say is to get them and try them out - it is the one sure way to find out if they are for you or not, because the qualities of EMG's that some people hate, others will love. They are a very good pickup for what they do - noiseless, high gain, articulate, and evenly balanced.

Comment

yeah I was thinking of buying them and trying them out, If I don't like them I can always sell them to someone who do.

Comment

I have EMGs on all my electrics-

SL1- 81/SA/SA All around great sounds, both clean and distorted. Extremely warm clean sound.

SG- 58/H The 58 is an original model from the 80s, available now through the "custom shop". It was discontinued for being too noisy, but I love how it sounds for classic rock/blues. The neck pickup (H) is the single coil pickup in a humbucker casing. Sounds awesome for clean stuff. I used to have a Duncan Custom in the bridge but I greatly prefer the 58 for what I use the SG for.

Mutt- 81 This thing just kicks ass, plain and simple. Great, powerful sound- never muddy.

[img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

EMG's actually respond to wood types more than I thought. A while ago when I played a BC Rich Gunslinger it just had one EMG 81. It sounded pretty cool and notes seemed to jump out of every where. The same goes for an old Ironbird I played too. But when i tried out a Jackson Fusion with an EMG 81 in the bridge and two single coils, it sounded like crap. Too thin and raspy. The single coils sounded really nice though, beutiful sound.
                      93 USA Soloist EDS
                      USA HT6 Juggernaut
                      Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Got an 85 in my fusion-its one of my favorite pick ups

Comment

Hmm, what do you think of dual 81 in a KV1 all brass Kahler?

Comment

Dual 81s aren't bad. I had the silver 25th anniversary set in my old Hamer... the guitar was all mahogany with a 3/8" maple top. The bridge pup was a little bright and I wound up keeping the tone control on about 5 most of the time, but the 81 in the bridge is even brighter in guitars made of poplar or alder.
                            With the KV1, it might be a tiny bit warmer due to the brass Kahler, but probably not all that much. I'd still go with the 85 in the bridge and either 81 or 60 in the neck. Though, you might prefer the 81 in the bridge, so I guess you'd have to try it and see.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I don't like EMGs . I had 3 guitars with EMGs ...... I either swapped the pickups out or sold the guitar.
                              I find them sterile and flat sounding .

Mark
                              Oh stick this in your fuse box ..... Bon Scott

Comment

I have the Screaming Demon in the Brigde now. Like it.

Comment

Working...
                                X