EMGs.. Sterile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EMGs.. Sterile?

Yeah I checked their website (why didn't I think of that in the first place?) and the 89 can be tapped to a singlecoil by using a push/pull pot.

Comment

I think it's all in how *you* play and of course the guitar itself and your amp rig I built a Tele that had a pair of EMG Silver Anniv. 81's in it. It was actually a very good blues guitar. I find that with the right instrument and outboard gear EMGs can be very dynamic and responsive. I've also hear them sound like shit - like in the Steinberger I had.
      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Okey.
        Thanks for your reply!

Comment

I use EMG's and I am sterile. There is a correlation.
          Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

I think EMGs have specs with very flat EQs across the range. That's great if you have a very high gain amp, and do a lot of tone shaping with your rig/amp. To others - myself included - they sound flat and lifeless. So you love 'em or hate 'em. I'm in the latter camp.

BTW, I think this same critique applies to Dimarzio's PAF Pro pickups. And that's also why some folks swear by them, and others don't. Same issue, but passive pickups.

Comment

Yes that's right.
              So the only way to see if I like them is to buy them and play them. there aren't any music stores where I live so I can't just go and try them out like that. [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Comment

I've been a die-hard EMG fanatic for the longest time, but lately I've started to aquire a taste for passives. EQ and stuff aside, I think the biggest difference is how they sound distorted. The EMGs have that distinctive EMG distortion that is perfectly suited to high-gain situations. When you back down the gain a bit however, they tend to sound a bit "farty" IMO, and there's where a good passive will still sound ballsy and "in your face".

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I think EMGs have specs with very flat EQs across the range.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel this way too. You don't get the pronounce freq differences that you get in passives. I actually like this feature. I feel I get a more consistant sound. If I'm going to go plug into a house rig I can get a good sound much easier. EMG are by far my favoite high gain pickup and DG-20 set was the best single coil set I had ever used.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I've been a die-hard EMG fanatic for the longest time, but lately I've started to aquire a taste for passives. EQ and stuff aside, I think the biggest difference is how they sound distorted. The EMGs have that distinctive EMG distortion that is perfectly suited to high-gain situations. When you back down the gain a bit however, they tend to sound a bit "farty" IMO, and there's where a good passive will still sound ballsy and "in your face".

[/ QUOTE ]

I always have the gain on my amp set very high, and the volume pot on my guitar is always set on 10, so high-gain is what I like [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Does anyone have any recordings done with a guitar fitted with EMGs? I'd like to hear them without any effects except distortion, I'd also like to hear them with no dist at all. just to get an idea what they sound like.

Thanks!

Comment

There are soundclips at www.emginc.com

Comment

i would recommend turning up your laptops' speakers to get a little more juice out of your pickups. Thats what i do anyway lol

Comment

Doesn't Buddy Guy use EMG single coils?

Comment

No, Buddy uses a combination of Lace Sensors.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              There are soundclips at www.emginc.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks I'll check it out!

Comment

I'm not a fan of EMGs at all, but some of them sound pretty nice, those active single coils are pretty good.
                                I've also tried 85 and 60, on some guitars they sound decent, sometimes they don't, I don't really dig them.
                                EMG 81 is IMHO the most cheesiest and un-natural sounding piece of shit pickup ever made. It doesn't have warm mid-range at all.
                                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Working...
                                X