Tone problems with a brand new Kahler hardtail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone problems with a brand new Kahler hardtail

I tried mailing Kahler, but all of the e-mail addresses are dead.

I had the Kahler installed ad set up, but, the guitar has lost most of it's sustain. It also lost it's tonal girth. Finally, it sounds like a hollow body now. It has the classic style rollers. Anyone have a suggestion? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Re: Tone problems with a brand new Kahler hardtail

Thats strange, have you checked out the electronics? How does it sound acoustically compared to before without being plugged in?
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

It sounds brighter and more alive, acoustically, yet with a fast decay.

It's an ultra modified hot rod flame model 7. The earlier bridge was the stock, tele style. It had an old PC circuit Schecter tele-p-up before, now it has a Duncan Distortion in the bridge. The electronics are all new, including CTS pots and an orange drop cap. The guitar screams, but the other problems I stated in the first post are there.

Comment

Sounds like a wiring problem.

Comment

Try increasing the neck pitch with a shim and raise the saddles. More downforce over the rollers will increase sustain. Kahlers work best when the saddles are raised, not enough break angle from the roller to the string anchor kills sustain and tone since there isn't enough string pressure on the roller and the sustain and harmonics peter out fast.

Comment

Thanks LL. I will pass this on to the tech who has my guitar. Hopefully, this will solve the problem.

The tech checked all the electronics with a meter, before and after replacing the weak Super Distortion p-up, so I would think the wiring is correct.

Comment

You had the pickup changed the same time you had the Kahler put on?
              Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Kahlers work best when the saddles are raised, not enough break angle from the roller to the string anchor kills sustain and tone since there isn't enough string pressure on the roller and the sustain and harmonics peter out fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 This is exactly what I had to do with my Telel project that has a Kahler. Before I pitched the neck, the saddles were extremely low and the guitar sounded horrible. Just like a TOM bridge sounds better with a sharp angle across the saddles, so does a Kahler. Also, you may want the steel rollers. The brass is real midrangey, and doesn't seem to sustain quite as well.

Comment

Thanks to LexLuthier and Noodles! Problem solved. It was as simple as the fine tuners not being screwed all the way down on the hardtail. This tightend the tension between the bridge and the tail. All it was was the string pressure. The techs and my friend blamed the Kahler and it being a Japanese Charvel. They were wrong. It freekin' kills with tons of tone and sustain, now. Pics on the weekend. Cheers!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    It was as simple as the fine tuners not being screwed all the way down on the hardtail. This tightend the tension between the bridge and the tail. All it was was the string pressure.

[/ QUOTE ]
                    Well, I'd still raise the saddles, because if you need to use to fine tuners for adjustment, you may still run into a problem.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Glad to hear it works good! I too like the steel rollers, but you see what Kahler is charging for them?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Glad to hear it works good! I too like the steel rollers, but you see what Kahler is charging for them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably more than you could get a used older bridge off of E-bay for.

Comment

I wanted the 80's tone with lots of mids and minimal lows, so I am happy with the rollers as they are, as I am not a fan of the scooped tone.

It's a hard tail, so I won't be using the fine tuners; just like EVH said, it all has to be connected.

The rollers are quite high, I believe. I will be posting pics of the guitar in the next few days on the Charvel import board. Let me know what you think of the height.

It's a hot pink, hot rod flamed, model 7 with rosewood board and a Duncan Distortion in the bridge.

Thanks again for all of your support. This board rawks!

Comment

Actually one of the main reasons I like Kahlers is because of the fat tone (fat mids, lots of low end) - a big hunk of brass directly mounted to the guitar. The steel rollers give a bit better high end response and harmonics, and a little more sustain.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

It's a hot pink, hot rod flamed, model 7 with rosewood board and a Duncan Distortion in the bridge.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua"> [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] we need pics now!!!!!!!!!
                              </font>
                              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Working...
                              X