EMG problem....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG problem....

I have an early 90's (not actually sure of the year) Soloist Pro with EMG's in it. Currently there is an 81 in the bridge. It came originally with an 85, but I swapped the 81 in because the 85 sounded mushy and buzzy. I have EMG's in my SL2 and my Les Paul Custom, but I've never had this issue before (then again the switch might not be wired correctly). Even with the 81 in the bridge, the bottom end is mushy, and the top is kinda raspy/buzzy. The wiring looks ok, but it is quite possible it is not. Where should I start checking (short of ripping everything out). I thought at first that there was a single coil getting combined with the bridge pickup, but I don't think it is the case. I'll try to get some pics up tonight or tomorrow to show the wiring job on the inside.

Re: EMG problem....

A picture is worth a 1000 words.

Are the singles EMG's as well?

Are the pots 25K or 50K (not 250K or 500K)?

I could throw out a million more questions, but good picture will help a lot.

Comment

The singles are EMG's, also I'm pretty sure the pots are 25k. I'm at work right now, so I'll try to snap a pic when I get out later.

Comment

sounds to me you either need to adjust the pickup highth or your amp settings.

or maybe you just don't like the sound of that guitar. or the sound of that guitar with EMG's.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I'm prefacing this statement by saying that I'm not an EMG fan at all, but what you are describing is exactly what my '87 Soloist sounded like with EMG's. It is S/S/H as well.

Comment

Check to see that your guitar cord is plugged in ALL THE WAY. I had the same raspy/buzzy problem when I got my first guitar with EMGs. The EMG jacks can sometimes be pretty tight, the first click I heard of putting in the cable made me think it was in, but I actually had to push again, then the sound was fine.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Noodles, what are you using in your 87 Soloist? After playing the explorer I bought off of Pete for the last two weeks (with a Duncan Distortion in the bridge), I've been rekindling my love for passives. So a pickup swap might be in store after all.

Comment

Could be a bunk pickup as well. If it's a quick-connect, make sure it's connected properly and the wires aren't loose in the connector-side.

Also your tuning/string guage affects it, as well as the quality of the bridge.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

How does quality of bridge affect the pickup? Of course better the bridge is, better sustain is, but you're talking about sound?

Comment

Working...
                  X