Pickup soldering question...feedback?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup soldering question...feedback?

I'm experimenting with pickups in a guitar. Last night I did a pickup swap and finally cranked it up loud this morning. The pickup sounded fine, but feedback was an issue where this is usually not a problem for me. Could it possibly be the nasty, quicky, soldering job I did at midnight last night?

The pickup sound fine otherwise. I guess the question is...can a sloppy soldering job cause feedback? Or is it just the pickup?

Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: Pickup soldering question...feedback?

As long as the solder joint is good and electrically conductive.....I can't see how that could induce feedback.

Has the pup been microphonic before or do you know??

Comment

I finally played my guitar loud at a jam session yesterday and the guitar squealed. I have the same question now [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Its not your wiring job. Your pickup has gone microphonic. How did it happen?? Easy. A pickup goes microphonic when the coils that wrap around the magnets get loose. This happens a few different ways. Sometimes the factory potting cracks. Many vintage pickups aren't potted. Most of the time, its from handling the pickup. Both of you guys need your pickups potted. I have potted many pickups. I mix beeswax into my regular wax because it keeps it pliable and much less prone to cracking. Temp is another key issue. Too hot and you melt your bobbins. Too cold and it doesn't work. I use a candy thermometer. You have to pot it until ALL of the bubbles stop. If you need anything potted shoot me a PM. JG

Comment

It's obviously the pickup then.

Comment

Does the pickup have a cover on it? If the cover isn't clamped down when it is soldered onto the pickup, that will cause an issue like this as well.

Comment

Working...
            X