pickup ring? I don't need no stinking pickup ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pickup ring? I don't need no stinking pickup ring

What would it take to be able to mount humbuckers to a body that normally requires pickup rings, without the rings?

I have a couple bodies that are "pickup ring friendly" and was thinking of trying to mount the pickups without. However, there seems to be these "channels" so to speak that are awfully deep that are located under the area that the pickup screws go.

Do you just need extra long springs and screws to make it work? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Re: pickup ring? I don\'t need no stinking pickup

Extra long springs, screws, and enough wood to hold the screws. The wood will be a problem on some guitars, you´ll want at least 1/8" or so for the threads to grab onto.

Adding foam rubber under the pickup can stabilize it from rocking back and forth if you´re bothered by that [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Cut a dowel to fit in the channels, wood-glue them in place, and knock yourself out [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks! Those hints are pretty much what I was thinking needed to be done.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          ...and knock yourself out [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

listen carefully buddy!

[img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

Comment

Don't drive the screws through the back of the guitar! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Alternatively you can fill the pickup route with epoxy and sink the pickup in it, then wait for it to harden.
              Just don't ever want to change it, and you have to get the height right the first time.
              [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Actually, it'd be neat to have some blocks that were cut to fit various pickup routes that you could mount pickups directly into - kinda like the inverse of Gibson's "pickup testing" LP [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Nice product idea there. Someone could sell little pieces of wood (dowel or whatever) with threaded inserts in them, to fit in the plunge cuts on either side of a normal pickup route. That way, you could just glue 'em in place and use regular screws to mount the pickup, instead of screwing up its threads with wood screws.

Comment

Why exactly are there "plunge cuts" on each side of the pickup route? what purpose do they serve?

Comment

Some pickups have deeper lugs, and the screws would bottom out in the pickup cavity without those extra cuts.
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
                    X