Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Regular spaced pick-up in Floyded guitar.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Regular spaced pick-up in Floyded guitar.

[ QUOTE ]
    It doesn't matter. If it did, everybody would be using X2N's, blades, rails and Carvin pickups. Its cosmetic.

[/ QUOTE ]

John, nobody should use Carvin pickups [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Why it means nothing. Thinking that the poles need to be directly under the guitar is 2 dimensional thinking. Their is always a straight line from pole to string and the distance varies based on preference. You should never have your pup that close to the string that the distance matters. In essence you can achieve the same distance with either setup.

[/ QUOTE ]

To elaborate on this, look at the guitar from the top down to see how far off the strings are from the center of the poles.

Then, look at the guitar from the side to see how far the strings are from the pole pieces.

Comparatively, the strings are miles further from the poles than they are "off center" because of not using F spaced trem pickups. If the magnetic field is at least as strong as the height of the pickup to the string, a little off center should not be that big a deal.

And for those who A/B test or say there is a tone difference, read my post again - an F spaced pickup is not the same pickup as the regular spaced. Compare Ohm readings, look at the bobbin shape, magnet length - these factors alone will change the tone of the pickup. F spaced pickups are not the same as the regular spaced pickups and should be treated as a entirely different pickup.

Comment

DonP, everyone's entitled to their opinion.
        We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

For those who are now more confused than they were before reading this thread, I recommend contacting the manufacture of whatever pickup you are considering and get it right "from the horses mouth".

[img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

DON'T DO IT!! IT WILL EXPLODE AND KILL YOU!! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I don't think they sound the same at all. In general, I think the trem spaced versions sound way too bright. If you think that practically all of us are using high output pickups, the pole pieces lining up has nothing to do with the strength of the magnetic field that these pickups throw out.

I only have one trem spaced pickup, and it's on my Soloist. The JB was too muddy, the Distortion was too bright, but the trem-spaced JB was right in the middle where I needed it to be.

Comment

Here's one for you, Why do SLATQH's (TOM) come stock with a trem spaced Custom 5? I installed a reg spaced Custom in one and it sounds/seems fine to me. Anyone know why they use trem spaced with a TOM?
              "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

man, i coulda sworn somewhere i recently read that there are some TOMS that are trem spaced. i puld be on crack, tho. probably so. at least gibson ones, hence the T in 498T or whatev....
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  at least gibson ones, hence the T in 498T or whatev....

[/ QUOTE ]
                  The T on Gibson pup models stands for treble. The R stands for rhythm.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

toldja i was on crack!
                    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                    Sully Guitars on Facebook
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        man, i coulda sworn somewhere i recently read that there are some TOMS that are trem spaced.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you're not on crack.

Here is what I've heard they do at Gibson in order to set the strings on the bridge saddles. The worked lays the string on a flat saddle, adjusting it to something (not sure what they are looking for as far as spacing), and gives the string/saddle a whack with a hammer in order to dent the saddle for the string.

Maybe the worker lines up the strings under the poles of the pickup?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Maybe the worker lines up the strings under the poles of the pickup?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, all that shit is already predetermined. Everything on those guitars is CNC'ed, including the mounting holes for the bridge, whose placement determines the angle of the bridge. I could see the whack it with a hamer thing, but the strings will already be lined up over the pole pieces at this point, since there path down the neck is already determined by the placement of the nut and stop tail.

Comment

"Here is what I've heard they do at Gibson in order to set the strings on the bridge saddles. The worked lays the string on a flat saddle, adjusting it to something (not sure what they are looking for as far as spacing), and gives the string/saddle a whack with a hammer in order to dent the saddle for the string.

Maybe the worker lines up the strings under the poles of the pickup?"

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
                            If in fact you did hear that, I would suggest NEVER repeating it again. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              "Here is what I've heard they do at Gibson in order to set the strings on the bridge saddles. The worked lays the string on a flat saddle, adjusting it to something (not sure what they are looking for as far as spacing), and gives the string/saddle a whack with a hammer in order to dent the saddle for the string.

Maybe the worker lines up the strings under the poles of the pickup?"

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
                              If in fact you did hear that, I would suggest NEVER repeating it again. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's true, then it's true. Take a trip to the Gibson factory and find out for us.

It's pretty much taken as "fact" at the LesPaulForum.

Personally, I don't care. If it works, it works. I have two LP's from the factory - never had an issue with either. The LP I have that Dan Erlewine setup - now that's a bit nicer!

Comment

Working...
                              X