No announcement yet.

Were there ever any GOLD-covered EMGs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were there ever any GOLD-covered EMGs?

You know how EMG has their chrome-covered 25th anniversary EMG-81 set? Were there ever any GOLD-covered EMG pickups? I can totally see a market for non-black-covered EMGs, especially gold ones to swap into Les Pauls that actually have gold hardware.

Re: Were there ever any GOLD-covered EMGs?

[ QUOTE ]
    You know how EMG has their chrome-covered 25th anniversary EMG-81 set?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes, I do! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] The neck pup now resides in my LP since I sold the Hamer to Travis. Maybe I should put the other chrome one in the bridge instead of the 85 now. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

They never made any gold ones, nor do I think they will. Maybe they will in 2026 when they hit their 50th anniversary. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Then again, maybe contact EMG and see if they would be willing to make it for you. They seemd interested last year when I asked about P-90 pickups... I wanted a regular-sized P-90 that sounded like a P-90 instead of their other P-90 size pups they make now but are versions of the 81, 85 and 60. I basically wanted their 58 humbucker in P-90 size, and Rick said to get back to him and remind him and they would probably do it.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

It's too bad they epoxy the covers onto their pickups or whatever, otherwise cover changes might be easier. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Yeah, I immediately thought of your Hamer and Gibson when I made this post, since your guitars were the first time I had ever seen that chrome 25-th anniversary set. Such a pity that I don't like the way EMG-81s really sound... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Since we are on the subject, is there a alternative to EMG's that are gold covered? Because, this really is good looking to me

-Nate
        Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          It's too bad they epoxy the covers onto their pickups or whatever, otherwise cover changes might be easier. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Yeah, I immediately thought of your Hamer and Gibson when I made this post, since your guitars were the first time I had ever seen that chrome 25-th anniversary set. Such a pity that I don't like the way EMG-81s really sound... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
          Yeah, it would be neat if you could easily change the covers on them. I actually don't mind how 81s sound for the most part, but they can be a little too bright in certain guitars, and that's why I prefer them in the neck for the most part.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Since we are on the subject, is there a alternative to EMG's that are gold covered?

[/ QUOTE ]
            Not that I know of. Duncan does make the Livewire actives that are chrome covered (I believe they also offer them with black or white covers, too). I know you can order different magnet configurations and get pups with different windings and chrome or gold covers normally in their custom shop, so maybe they'd be willing to put gold covers on the Livewires for a little upcharge.

Comment

you can order any tremspaced duncan with a chrome or gold cover. it's a standard option now with a small upcharge, not a custom shop thing. as for EMGs, i've never seen a gold set before.

-Mike
              www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Thanks for the info guys... Gonna start a pet build project and that was one of the main requirements.

-Nate
                Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Yup, the Duncan covered pickups are EXACTLY the same as their normal exposed ones, and are called their Classic Cover Series or something to that effect. You can specify chrome or gold... but I haven't heard of black yet. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I also believe you can get them in both trembucker-spaced and regular-spaced as well.

I have thought about trying a Classic Cover SH-6 Custom in the bridge of my Les Paul just to see what all the fuss is about, but the Classic Cover SH-4 JB is doing such a great job and the Les Paul is bassy enough that I maybe don't need to try the Custom. Sorry, Sully/Chuck... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

The JB I had in my Hamer was shit! I think that pup is overrated and had too much high mids and treble... and I usually like higher mids. The 81 definitely had more low end and bass punch in that guitar, and I usually prefer the 85 overall, but the 81 definitely was pretty sweet in the Hamer. I haven't tried the regular SH5 Custom or the SH11 Custom Custom, but I've got the 7-string version of the SH5 in my Schecter and love it! I'm sure it's pretty much the same as the regular Custom.
                    Oh yeah, NOTP, the SH6 is the Duncan Distortion. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Whoopsie oopsie doodle, the SH-5 is the Custom. Damn fat fingers. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I don't suppose getting your hands on the chrome EMGs and painting them gold would be to tough, just use a decent quality metal paint. No spray cans.

Comment

What's wrong with spray cans?

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, if you're just wanting gold-covered hums with no pole pieces showing, get a pair of gold Iommis. If you want EMGs specifically, well, you're S.O.L. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Kinda off-topic, but regarding covered Duncan pickups....that's a way (if they still will do it) to get a double cream pickup if you want one. Just order a covered pickup with double creams underneath.....remove the cover and...whalla Duncan double cream.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Kinda off-topic, but regarding covered Duncan pickups....that's a way (if they still will do it) to get a double cream pickup if you want one. Just order a covered pickup with double creams underneath.....remove the cover and...whalla Duncan double cream.

[/ QUOTE ]
                              Yeah, just order them with lightly soldered covers so you can easily take them off.

Comment

Working...
                              X