Origonal Duncan vs. Duncan Designed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Origonal Duncan vs. Duncan Designed

Ok, so we all know origonal Duncans are better. But has anyone done any acual sound comparisons? For example, the DD HB103 is supposed to be modeled after the SH6 Duncan Distortion. So, how close are they sound wise? Is it a noticable difference?
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Re: Origonal Duncan vs. Duncan Designed

The Duncan Designed lacks the clarity and punch of the real thing. A lil' muddy, if you will. Some folks like them. Guess it depends on what you want outta your pup. The DD's in my son's RX10D sound good.
    My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      The Duncan Designed lacks the clarity and punch of the real thing. A lil' muddy, if you will. Some folks like them. Guess it depends on what you want outta your pup. The DD's in my son's RX10D sound good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

Some years ago I bought my KVX10, and after a short while I replaced the stock DD HB103 with a real SH-6 Distortion.
      I liked the sound of the DD, but the bottom end was kind of muddy, palm mutes didn't crunch as much as I wanted.
      The real Duncan Distortion solved everything, I got way more clarity and a great tight bottom end punch. Worth every penny to me, and still my favourite pickup.
      http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

There is a point to ponder though. I am an Eveready and Duracell dealer. I buy direct from both. They both make their commercial and retail grades of the copper top and the energizer. Eveready calls their commercial versions Industrial and Duarcell calls them Procell. Just about every person I sell to wants the retail grade Energizers and Coppertops. Why? They claim they last longer than the industrial (noname) versions. The customer is always right so I just sell them what they want. I visited both manufacturing plants. The industrial and the retail batteries come off of the exact same production line. They go their separate ways when the metal jackets that have the names on them are installed. Internally, they are identical. It seems that if a person spends $4.00 for a Coppertop instead of $2.50 for a Procell they think it is better and will last longer. Nope. Most contractors know and they buy the industrial brand because they are 1/2 the price for the same exact battery. Manufacturers are forced to buy the Coppertops and the Energizers because the public will think they have an inferior battery if it isn't the retail model. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the Duncan Designed and the Seymour Duncans aren't the same pickups. I know that Samick makes guitars for many of the large brand names.

Comment

The original Duncans are made at Seymour Duncan in the USA. The Duncan Designed pickups are built in Korea to Seymour's specs.

Comment

Travis is right. The DDs are made to the same specs as the original designs, but the are not hand wound and inspected and tweaked like the ones made in Califoria...
            Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

Old argument but one that still will continue to rage on. I'm pretty happy with my DD in my Kor Schecter C-Plus and my Schecter long scale.
              For a seven, I'm ok with these for now.
              They have good definition across the spectrum.
              These pickups will get the job done until you are willing to upgrade. I look at it as Duncan priming the way for promoting their name thru Korean products so they can sell more of the USA made models.

Comment

i dont see how people can think that they are the same pickups. maybe they ARE made to the same specs, bottom line is, the real duncans sound different (not saying they are better because that is personal opinion) but they dont sound the same.

my opinion? duncan designed sucks :P had em in a couple guitars and think they are some of the worst pickups ive ever heard

Comment

I had Duncan Designed in my 7-string Schecter 007 Elite. They really didn't sound bad, just a lot weaker in output than I liked. Now I've got a real Duncan Custom in the bridge and a DiMarzio Blaze single coil in the neck and I've got more output and better tone.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    There is a point to ponder though. I am an Eveready and Duracell dealer. I buy direct from both. They both make their commercial and retail grades of the copper top and the energizer. Eveready calls their commercial versions Industrial and Duarcell calls them Procell. Just about every person I sell to wants the retail grade Energizers and Coppertops. Why? They claim they last longer than the industrial (noname) versions. The customer is always right so I just sell them what they want. I visited both manufacturing plants. The industrial and the retail batteries come off of the exact same production line. They go their separate ways when the metal jackets that have the names on them are installed. Internally, they are identical. It seems that if a person spends $4.00 for a Coppertop instead of $2.50 for a Procell they think it is better and will last longer. Nope. Most contractors know and they buy the industrial brand because they are 1/2 the price for the same exact battery. Manufacturers are forced to buy the Coppertops and the Energizers because the public will think they have an inferior battery if it isn't the retail model. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the Duncan Designed and the Seymour Duncans aren't the same pickups. I know that Samick makes guitars for many of the large brand names.

[/ QUOTE ]

John, you make a good point. This happens with a lot of things. I buy motor oil from Canadian Tire, and I buy their store brand for much cheaper than the name brands such as Castrol. But guess what, their store brand IS Castrol. Most people don't know that, but if they did, they would probably still buy the Castrol branded stuff.
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
                    X