Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What size/gauge of strings do U use and Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size/gauge of strings do U use and Why?

I grew up, a child of the 60's...I remember when "Slinkys" first came out (way before "super slinkys")...Before that, everyone was trying to put together lighter and lighter gauged strings. In those days a med. gauge of gibson electric strings was 12 - 62 (I know this because I still have a set that I never opened and never used from back then)!

When I was a kid, I had 8's and 9's, usually from Fender or Ernie Ball....on everything for every reason. Years later, when I was managing Survivor, Jimmy Petrick (founder/leader/principal writer of the group & fellow guitar collector), after playing a Moserite of mine with 9's on it, told me to "...at least put 11's on it, and I will get a much richer tone". Needless to say, I did and was converted. Jimmy used to tease me that all the "midwest" guitarists used "logs" for strings, and all the westcoast guitarists used "rubber bands" and thats why you could always hear the difference on record or live between the two ! I don't know if he was "right", but you can definitly hear the difference immediately ! Now I use 12 - 54's on most of my "working axes" (all tuned down to "D" - I like the deeper tones) - but I also have a couple of guitars with 11's, 10's and yes, even one with 9's on it (mostly so my 14 year old daughter can play it easier) - all tuned to concert pitch - usually for taking to "jams".

I was wondering what other members of this site use....and their reasonings behind such decisions?

Re: What size/gauge of strings do U use and Why?

I use 11's on all my guitars. Lately I've been using GHS Boomers 11-50's. I keep my short scale guitars tuned to E and my 25.5" scale guitars tuned to E flat.

The thicker strings just sound better to me. Also, I do not have a light touch with my left hand, so I tend to fret lighter strings sharp, especially on guitars with jumbo frets.

Comment

Went with 10-46 GHS Boomers in '86 when I started... I saw an ad in Circus Magazine with Queensryche playing them, so I decided to go with those, been using them pretty much ever since, tuned to either E or Eb (I also use Carvin strings which are Boomers in Carvin packaging). Now I sometimes also use Ernie Ball Power Slinky 11-48 on a couple of guitars usually in either Eb or D.
      I've tried 9s a few times through the years, but they always broke too easy and feel like spider webs to me!
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I use Ernie Ball Super Slinkys (9-42's), I used to use Fender Super Bullets, but I ran out and someone gave me a set of EB's, been converted ever since.

Comment

10-46 boomers

more metal, more tone, but i'm still a whimp so i'll stick with 10's
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

EB 9-42s, soft feel, bend so nice, hybrids on my tele, standard tuning, classic rock.
            I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

9-42's on all stardard tuned guitars. 10-46 on all that are 1/2 step down. Started on 9's and have always stayed with them but when I tuned down a half step they seemed to spongy.
              http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

EBMM 10-46 pure nickel stringes (normally tuned to E on 25.5" scale lengths) but I think I'm going to move up to 11-48 soon. I like the feel of bigger strings and ther warmer tone & softer feel of nickel as compared to steel or steel core.
                Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I'm all over the place... I've been using EB for awhile, but am gonna give D'addario a shot. I usually tune to drop C (CGCFAD), and use 11-54 or so, but a buddy of mine just turned me onto a really light D'addario set. He uses the same tuning as me, and strings up 10-49.

So, what do I use? Whatever works best at the moment [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

11-50's
                    I just can't stand any "flop" in my strings. I'm still thinking of moving up to 12's, because I put alot of power into my picking.

Comment

GHS Boomers 10-46. I've been using them since about 83. I've tried going to 9's a few but always ended up breaking them so I stuck with 10's. I tried a couple different brands but noticed some had slightly different tension, even though they were 10-46 and each string gauge identical, the Floyd wouldn't be exactly level with the body....I liked the GHS's and stayed with them ever since and they are consistent. All of my guitar are Floyded so consistent string tension is a good thing
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

10-52 tuned to either Eb, Eb dropped Db, or D dropped C. 9s just seem too flimsy to me. I have to be able to feel my strings more.
                        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

SIT 10-46 S-1046 tuned to D.

Hard to find anymore...

Comment

Boomers 10-46 for me. The Lynch ads from back in the day sold me on them when I started playing. Pretty good bang for your buck too when they're only $4.36 a pack to boot.

[ QUOTE ]
                            The thicker strings just sound better to me. Also, I do not have a light touch with my left hand, so I tend to fret lighter strings sharp, especially on guitars with jumbo frets.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
                            more metal, more tone, but i'm still a whimp so i'll stick with 10's

[/ QUOTE ]

Same with me Travis and Dreamland_Rebel, plus 9's just sound too bright for me. I'm going to experiment with 11's the next time I restring the Model 2. I have it tuned to standard D, and I'm wanting to see what a difference 11's will make.

Comment

I use Dean Markley Blue Steels, 11-52. I like the way the steel strings sound and feel, and I use heavier ones cuz I like to hit them pretty hard with my pick. I tune my guitar to drop D and the 52 doesn't flop around at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X