Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What size/gauge of strings do U use and Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What size/gauge of strings do U use and Why?

GHS 9-42 on all my Floyded guitars.
    GHS 10-46 on my v-trem strat.
    All tuned to E.
    I've never had a problem with string breaks using 9's.
    -Rick

Comment

Dean Markley Custom Lites on my Charvels. One's in Eb and ones E standard. I like having the top 3 strings at a heavier gauge and the 9's on the bottom 3 for lead.

My King V is in C standard with a set of Dean Markley Jazz strings (12 - 54). Nice and crunchy.
      THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

years of typing poorly at a computer has forced me into lighter strings - I use 9-46 - mostly Ernie Ball's but I'm flexible. On acoustics I tend to use 11's. My baritone Telecaster has either 12's or 14's on it depending on what I have handy.
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I use D'Addario 9-42 on all my guitars. They last long, never break, sound and feel great to me.
          Scott
          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Pretty good bang for your buck too when they're only $4.36 a pack to boot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Walmart in my area has them for $3.84 a pack, but I'm interested in getting a lower price than that.

I use the hybrid 9-46 Boomer sets on everything.

Comment

I use 9-42 on strat scales and 10-46 on LP scales. Everthing is tuned E at A440. I use whatever I have laying around, but I mostly order from webstrings.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I use D'Addario 9-42 on all my guitars. They last long, never break, sound and feel great to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1. I've tried other brands, but always came back to these. I tried 10s once but just couldn't get used to them.
                My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

GHS 9-46 when I can find them here. No one has more than like two sets here [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                  When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

I'm an Ernie Ball 10-46 man. My first guitar must have come with that gauge and they seemed fine. When I did my first ever string change I bought 9-42 and it was like, whoa, where's the meat in these strings. I tried 10-46 and they seem like a good compromise, not too heavy, not too light, decent tone out of the high strings.

The sound of anything lighter seems too weak to me, though I know lots of guitarists in bands use 9's, or even 8's and seem to sound fine, I just can't do it myself.

Comment

I use DR 11-56 Tite-Fits. I started of on GHS 9-46 but I always felt something was wrong so I tried out a set of 11-48 Slinkys. I loved the feel of the strings but I dont like the tone I got with EB's. So then I got a set of DR 11-50 Tite-Fits back in the day and have been hooked ever since. I wish they made a 13-70 set.

Comment

D'Addario EJ22's (13-56 Jazz Medium). Going to be switching back to EXL140's (10-52 Light Top/Heavy Bottom) simply because I feel that those strings are the best balance of everything that I want.

Comment

I use Ernie Ball hybrid slinky .09/.46, very easy to bend and thick enough at the botton.

On my Strat I use fender super bullets 250 of the same gauge,both last for long and they're smooth.
                          '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
                          '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
                          '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
                          '92 Fender Strat scallop
                          '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
                          '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

This is great ! Keep it up ! ! !
                            I find it interesting that there are very few users of "big" (11's or higher)gauges. Most seem to be 9's or 10's. And I was those expecting those Midwestern Ax men to be touting those "logs"!

Comment

D'Addario EXL-140 "light top/heavy bottom". 10-52 tuned to standard E

Sound great, long lasting, short 'break-in' period, consistent, good pitch bend.

I like how the notes seem to 'bust' out of a guitar slung with heavier strings. I like the resistance of the string to the pick. My picks are .97 dunlop gator grips IIRC... the string seems to just snap right off the tip of the pick for a fast and immediate response...

too bad i have a hard time finding exl-140s in the store.
                              www.WarCurse.com

Comment

Elixar 9-42. They coat them and the "New String" sound stays around for a hell of a long time. They cost a bit more but, they sound really good/bright.

-Nate
                                Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Working...
                                X