Problem fitting SD Hotrails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem fitting SD Hotrails

Guys I want to put a hotrails in the neck of my USA fusion but really dont think it'll fit as it has that little bit that sits out on the bottom of the PUP and simple wont fit into the route. Has anyone tried this? I have a Hamer Californian that has the route cut accordingly. Check the pics to see what I mean.

Re: Problem fitting SD Hotrails

You have to clip the little lip off very carefully. Or I believe you can order one from Duncan without the lip.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I've never seen those without that little lip on the side.

Comment

yeah, i've done it. you gotta be really careful when you get in around where the wires go thru the holes in the dogear tab, but if you have a dremel tool, you can get it done pretty quickly. i used wire cutters to clip the bulk of the excess away, dremel'ed it smooth. if you were any good at the game "operation", you'll have no problem! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

My problem is that I was always the kid who made it buzz because I liked to piss other people off.

Comment

I used a pair of wire clippers to cut off the plastic and it fit fine. It wasn't pretty, but you really can't see down in there anyway.

You used to be able to order them from Duncan without the lip at no extra charge, but I don't know if that's an option anymore since they came out with the new design. The new design Hot Rails do not have the plastic lip, so I got one of those for my 375 project. The only problem was, the wire comes out of the front of the pickup so there was a tiny portion of wire that would not allow the pickup to drop in. I ended up taking a file and shaving off a little bit of the wood around the route to fit hte pickup in. It's very subtle, but if you want to keep your guitar looking mint, I wouldn't suggest doing that.

Try to get an old one and clip the lip off. Otherwise, you're going to be looking at routing the guitar a tiny bit.

Comment

How dare you show a Hamer that blows the doors off that Jackson LOL! That is a sweet axe - love the pickup selection just like my Fusion Deluxe's.

Comment

Yeah, I had a Californian Standard with a Distortion/Cool Rails combo. It was a pretty sweet axe. Solid mahogany body with a bolt on maple neck, though. It didn't look near as good as the maple bodies ones, but still a great player.

Comment

easy answer...buy one of the new duncans. they changed the design of the rail pickups and other strat size hums to the below (see pic) so they will fit in a situation like that without having to hack up the pickup and risk destroying it like the old way lol [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

You may have to take a tiny chisel and make room in the cavity (depending on your route style) for the wire since it comes out the front now but it will not be seen on the top of the guitar since you can wiggle it in, but you should make room in the cavity for the wire so it's not pinched when installed. i just did this to my wayne mutt and had no problems.

-Mike
                  www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

*cough, cough*

That's what I said. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
                    The new design Hot Rails do not have the plastic lip, so I got one of those for my 375 project. The only problem was, the wire comes out of the front of the pickup so there was a tiny portion of wire that would not allow the pickup to drop in. I ended up taking a file and shaving off a little bit of the wood around the route to fit hte pickup in. It's very subtle, but if you want to keep your guitar looking mint, I wouldn't suggest doing that.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to get a new Hot Rails and work with the wire placement, I've got a black one that was mounted in my 375 project for less than 2 months that I could sell. Let me know if you would be interested.

Comment

whoops...sorry man, must have been out of it and somehow missed that when i replied.

however, you do not need to touch the face of the guitar or any visable area for the new duncans to fit. you just need to chisel out a small area at the depth the wire from the front of the pickup will be at when intalled....not up on the visable area of the body. if you do it right you should be able to coax the wire in with the pickup into the route and when it hits the area you removed below the visable face of the guitar it will have room to move and not be pinched. i wish my wayne was here i'd take a pic of it to show that no visable damage needs to be done to any visable parts of the guitar to get it in.....but my wayne is in getting some work done at my luthiers and i won't have it back 'til saturday.

-Mike
                      www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

More eye-candy for the hamer lovers, BTW the Jackson plays better but the hamer sounds better IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                        X