Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Duncans equal Dimarzio?

Hey Folks,
    I'm in the middle of building a Dave Murray Strat, and now I need some pickups. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Dave used DiMarzio Super Distortions in his old Strat. But, the Super Distortions don't sound very good to me. I normally use Duncan Customs or Screamin Demons, or Rio Grandes, neither of which come in double cream, thanks to the DiMarzio trademark. Does anyone know what DiMarzios are similar in tone to the Duncan Custom or Demon?

Re: What Duncans equal Dimarzio?

Subvamp,

You can special order Duncans in double creme, but it must be a special order where Duncan puts a cover on it. You take the cover off, and there are your double cremes.

I'm very interested in your project, having thought about doing it myself (almost bought a MIM strat for $160 to get started).

What are the specs of your project, and do you have any pics?

Why don't the SuperD's work, because I was going to use these with my Dave Murray strat. You might be able to save me some lumps on the head LOL!

I have a pair of double black SuperD's, but I haven't tried them out yet. They are newer ones, with 4 conductor wiring (used to be the dual-sound in the old days).

Comment

<font color="orange"> The Dimarzio P.A.F. is as close as I've found,not the P.A.F. Pro(yuck!!),just the regular P.A.F.!! </font>

Comment

Hey Don,
        I just used a black MIM Strat for the project. I like them actually, I have a few of them. I like the neck profile on them. Plus they're cheap. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
        I'll check on ordering the Duncans, that's pretty cool. I'm sure it'll come down to how long it'll take vs. how quick I want to get it done!
        The Super Distortions might work for you, they just sound very harsh and brittle through my rig. But they might sound fine through yours. I'll definitely post a pic when it's done...I always wanted a Dave Murray Strat...he's the main reason my legato playing is warp speed. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        Oh, and I'm still interested in those Gibson pickups. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

No problem. Those pickups are not going anywhere fast (too busy to get back to selling stuff at the moment). Right now I'm kicking myself in the ass for mot getting that MIM strat. Black body, white pickguard, maple neck. I think it was listed on ebay under Marshall Amps so no one found it (why it went so cheap).

Comment

Working...
          X