No announcement yet.

Open string buzz - Floyd Rose nut shim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open string buzz - Floyd Rose nut shim?

hey guys,

I'm having some trouble with my SL2H with buzz on the open B and also a little on the G string..I'm probably going to have to shim the nut right?
    So what I'm wondering is if there are anyone selling prefabricated shimmings(sp?) that I can use or do I just have to fit some cardboard under there or something? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Maybe I could solve it by raising the trem a little but I don't really want to do that...so..waddayasay? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Re: Open string buzz - Floyd Rose nut shim?

you're on the right track.

you can stick a bit of a business card under there, sure. or you can get thin brass material at a hobby shop. cut it to fit, and shim away!

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

No way of raising just those strings? It sucks that the other stings have to go up just because of a couple of bad seeds.

Comment

you're not shimming the whole nut, just the treble edge. that's whatcha do.
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I actually took the shims out from under my Ibanez's nut awhile ago, though I am getting the ringing so it'd be best to put them back. There are indeed shims made for the purpose of FR trems, but the hassle may find you pressed in comparison to a business card like said : P

Comment

Razor blades have worked great for me in the past. just be carful busting them down. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Mike
            Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
            http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
              Razor blades have worked great for me in the past. just be carful busting them down. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Mike
              Awesome tip, sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but I've just used the razor blade method to fix my Charvel that was choking on the high E string on the 1st fret.
              Its got a Mike Learn artwork so it was cool it was Mike that came up with this suggestion. Cheers

Comment

If the buzz is happening on the 2nd and 3rd strings but not the first. Its not the nut. Although shimming the nut will solve the problem. Its most likely a high fret. It may have started to pop up a little bit making it buzz on those 2 strings. If it was a lack of shim it would buzz uniformly across the first fret or at least the first 3 strings.
                Gil

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                  you're not shimming the whole nut, just the treble edge. that's whatcha do.
                  That is the answer right there. It could be a few different things like a raised fret or even as simple as a slight truss rod adjustment.

Comment

If its one fret and one string its not the truss rod. Its an uneven fret. Tap it down with a small block of wood resting on top of the fret an d tap ut with a hammer till it seats. Shouldnt take more than a couple of taps to do it. Then check the same string. Ir rry slipping a thin piece of paper under the fret if it slides under or gets stuck its a high fret.

Comment

Working...
                    X