Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random tone loss on Jackson Soloist Pro Series

Hello all,

I just came across an issue today with my Jackson Soloist (Indonesian import). I put a bit of Deoxit D5 into the selector switch and pots (maybe I put too much), because I noticed some scratching when changing the pickup selector. Now, I'm getting a random tone loss when I play. It's weird, because it seems to happen when I'm bending more aggressively. I get a cut on the tone, sounds like I've rolled down the tone knob. Could this have been the Deoxit D5 into the tone pot? I've read that the D5 shouldn't be put into pots, but the Deoxit F5 instead. Besides the tone loss, I also hear some static sometimes. I bought the Deoxit F5, to try and clean the pots once again to see if the problem goes away. Wondering if anyone experienced anything similar.

I've put deoxit D5 on pots before with no ill effects. the manufacturer also says it's safe: https://caig.com/myth-busted/

The one thing I'd be careful with for D5 is that it will remove the grease that's already in the pot. maybe that's why F5 is recommended. trying the F5 on the pot isn't a bad a idea, let us know if it works. I've also heard that cleaning rotary pots should be followed with an application of faderlube but I haven't tried this.

If it's not the pot (and using the F5 should clear it up if it is...) then it's possible there's an intermittent wiring issue somewhere and you should check the soldering joints.

Comment

Ok, after a day it seems the problem went away. Maybe I damped the pots with the D5. Nevertheless, I still applied a bit of F5 and everything has been working so far.

Comment

Working...
      X