DKMG Types-any info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DKMG Types-any info?

Hey All, sorry if this is evident, couldn't find anything though.
    Apart from the 3 and 2 pots difference, are the any further difference between
    EMG HZ and 81/85 DKMGs? Neck wise for example?
    Thanks in advance!

You captured the difference between the pre-2006 and post-2006 DKMG. Pre-2006 had passive EMG-HZ pickups and the EMG Turbocharger circuit controlled by the third knob. Post-2006 had active EMG pickups and no extra circuit.

Before I clicked on this topic, based on the thread title I guessed you were going to ask about the different DKMG siblings. There were several, including:

DKMGT: Same as DKMG but with TOM bridge

DKMGFF: Same as DKMG but with flame inlays on the fretboard

DKMGTFF: Same as DKMG but with TOM bridge and fretboard flames

Comment

I don't believe there were any 'important' spec changes. I am pretty sure the neck and body were the same regardless of any other cosmetics. In fact, if memory serves, I don't even think they did a chrome hardware version.

It all boils down to the 2 vs 3, which was solely based on the electronics. And it wasn't even 'an option', it was a year.

Comment

Hey guys, thanks very much for taking your time and answering this so fast. So it basically comes down to which year the model came out. My model is the basic tremolo bridged version, post 2006 it seems as it has 2 pots, 81/85. It needs some service, could not really try it yet, and I was mainly interested if another neck type might have been adopted as well. If not, then it's great news, as the DKMG has the best Jackson neck for me, according to my limited experience so far.

Comment

Pianoguyy is correct, all MG Series Jacksons always had black hardware, never chrome. Chrome was another feature used to distinguish pre-2006 (chrome) and post-2006 in the Pro Series of the same era, along with Duncan Designed pickups (pre-2006) and Seymour Duncan pickups (post-2006).

And not even all pre-2006 MG Series Jacksons received the EMG Turbocharger circuit. For example, the SLSMG Soloist always had two knobs regardless of the year.

Generally I prefer the post-2006 guitars due to their "upgrades" but I would not turn down a pre-2006 MG/Pro Series for the right price.

Comment

I hope this isn’t too off topic, but Can anyone confirm if Jackson upgraded the tremolo quality after 2006? I know spec wise they have the same parts but I see this fact repeated around the internet with out any proof.
            Database (WIP) https://mechas64castles.net/CharvelJackson.html
            My collection also there!

Comment

Only some models such as the SL3, RR24, and KE5FR received Floyd Rose 1000 bridges. The rest of the Pro and MG Series retained the Takeuchi JT580LP.

Comment

Thanks! So basically the neck remained the same with the post-2006 models.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus7 View Post
                  Thanks! So basically the neck remained the same with the post-2006 models.
                  I do believe so.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                    Only some models such as the SL3, RR24, and KE5FR received Floyd Rose 1000 bridges. The rest of the Pro and MG Series retained the Takeuchi JT580LP.
                    I don't think he meant the change of trem models. But a change in the 580lp itself.

Such as the rounded edges vs the squared edges, or the chrome vs black.
                    Was little tweaks of the design brought on by, as example, a change of manufacturer (which may change quality) or maybe were they a general cheapening of the product design to save costs.

You know, internet rumors as to why my product is better than the other product.

Comment

About the neck, I could find a 2006 catalog which confirmed the neck question: same neck before and after 2006. 1st Fret: .735”, 12th Fret: .810” with both types of models. However I'm interested in any other kinds of ideas/notes about these guitars, so please continue if you have something informative/interesting to share. Cheers guys.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post

I don't think he meant the change of trem models. But a change in the 580lp itself.

Such as the rounded edges vs the squared edges, or the chrome vs black.
                        Was little tweaks of the design brought on by, as example, a change of manufacturer (which may change quality) or maybe were they a general cheapening of the product design to save costs.

You know, internet rumors as to why my product is better than the other product.
                        Yes that's what I meant. Changes due to manufacturing. Anecdotally the only variation I've had issues with was my older square baseplate jt580lp stripping out.
                        Database (WIP) https://mechas64castles.net/CharvelJackson.html
                        My collection also there!

Comment

Working...
                        X