Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

probably a stupid idea... satin to gloss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• probably a stupid idea... satin to gloss?

has anybody ever tried spraying gloss clear directly over a satin finish? obviously it will result in a thicker clear than normal, but are there other downsides vs. a complete refinish with gloss?

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
    has anybody ever tried spraying gloss clear directly over a satin finish? obviously it will result in a thicker clear than normal, but are there other downsides vs. a complete refinish with gloss?
    it would peel eventually. so, you would need to at least sand from 800 then 1000 then clear for the best result. you could just try 600, I've seen it done but 800 then 1000's your no brainer.
    I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Not all satin finishes are created equal.
      Some are nothing more than a stain. Some use the same paint and technique but leave off the mirror like clear coats. Others are are already sealed/glossed/enameled/etc but to a lesser extent.

Comment

And just like any type of finish the clear needs someway to bind to it
        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Don't sell your soul to Satin. Sell it to High gloss instead.
          The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctuary View Post
            Don't sell your soul to Satin. Sell it to High gloss instead.
            absolutely. hence the desire to "convert" a satin to gloss in the "right way" (without stripping/respraying of color).

some good info. I'm mostly concerned with "satin" finishes like you'd have over a color coat. think those satin black JS32's, or the satin finish promods, or even the satin usa select charvel san dimases/so-cals. I'm not 100% positive, but I believe these are additional coats sprayed over normal color coats. maybe someone has a better understanding of this than me though.

and yes that is a good note, definitely there would be some prep work on the existing finish.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post

absolutely. hence the desire to "convert" a satin to gloss in the "right way" (without stripping/respraying of color).

some good info. I'm mostly concerned with "satin" finishes like you'd have over a color coat. think those satin black JS32's, or the satin finish promods, or even the satin usa select charvel san dimases/so-cals. I'm not 100% positive, but I believe these are additional coats sprayed over normal color coats. maybe someone has a better understanding of this than me though.

and yes that is a good note, definitely there would be some prep work on the existing finish.
              I knew what you were talking about and per the 800-1000 method would get you the best results at 800 you're not likely to hit paint and at 1000 by hand there's no way. It will bubble orange peel and peel off if not, You could just go at it with 1000 wet really hard and watch your water.

Comment

Working...
              X