Make a satin finish like gloss or similar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make a satin finish like gloss or similar

Having now owned two basses in this satin finish, I fucking hate it. Is there an easy way to wear off the satin, so it has a shiny finish like gloss?
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

depending on the actual finish, it will become shiny with use. - starting where you arm and fingers rub.
    Likewise, you can fake it the way people fake age (relic). But instead of rubbing it with sandpaper, you would just buff it.

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
      Having now owned two basses in this satin finish, I fucking hate it. Is there an easy way to wear off the satin, so it has a shiny finish like gloss?
      use like 800 grit sand paper and sand it off. Make sure to use it wet, then you can spray it with clear, or you could go up to 1000 grit THEN get some diamond buffing paste like 1200-1800 and put that on a buffing wheel. if you just buff it it won't be even and will probably burn up a buffer or you'll just orange peel your paint job.
      Last edited by john.w.lawson; 08-20-2021, 07:47 PM.
      I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

In that case, I've leave it.
        Last edited by wilkinsi; 08-21-2021, 01:45 PM.
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Good idea. Hahahaha. Unless you have a shop set up for this kind of thing it really is a messy pain in the ass. Just replace it with a similar non-satin bass.

Comment

I have a 2012 LP Traditional that was faded. I used Virtuoso cleaner and polish.

https://virtuosopolish.com/

My color coats are very thin so sanding was not an option. I'd like a coat of clear for more protection, but lacquers can be funny and I'd want a clear that will melt in with the existing finish.

The guitar looks good now so I don't mess with it.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post

I have a 2012 LP Traditional that was faded. I used Virtuoso cleaner and polish.

https://virtuosopolish.com/

My color coats are very thin so sanding was not an option. I'd like a coat of clear for more protection, but lacquers can be funny and I'd want a clear that will melt in with the existing finish.

The guitar looks good now so I don't mess with it.

Nice guitar Don, looks satin though but it's not here so I'm not judging it. Did you hand polish it? I'd take it either way
              Last edited by john.w.lawson; 08-26-2021, 10:22 AM.
              I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Yep - hand polished. Not to a gloss. I don't think the paint is thick enough and it would need a bunch of clear coats to build it up to a gloss that could be wet sanded and polished.

I was playing this one last night - came with zebra BKP Rebel Yells but I prefer covers or double whites.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                  Yep - hand polished. Not to a gloss. I don't think the paint is thick enough and it would need a bunch of clear coats to build it up to a gloss that could be wet sanded and polished.

I was playing this one last night - came with zebra BKP Rebel Yells but I prefer covers or double whites.
                  Yeah, I didn't think you would take a buffer to it. It's just common sense. Extreme speed creates heat which creates orange peel.
                  The classic looks better to me too.

Comment

Working...
                  X