don't be a moron like me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• don't be a moron like me

Not sure if this is the correct sub forum or not, but I stripped my string locking screws (and saddles also?) because I lack a basic understanding of physics. oh, and I was watching TV at the same time and wasn't fully paying attention

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Keg_OJsfJvY
    Please visit my all metal youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/helmoftheantilemon/videos

Thats to bad. Seems like a good idea to hold the trem up. I just hold the trem arm down and loosen all 6 screws and let the bar go. then one at a time reload the strings hold the bar down and tighten the screws. never had propped the tem up, never stripped any screws either, not even on jt-6, and I have many guitars with floating trems.

Comment

Originally posted by paranoid View Post
      Thats to bad. Seems like a good idea to hold the trem up. I just hold the trem arm down and loosen all 6 screws and let the bar go. then one at a time reload the strings hold the bar down and tighten the screws. never had propped the tem up, never stripped any screws either, not even on jt-6, and I have many guitars with floating trems.
      I think you're right, that is a good idea. I'm just too lazy for that

Comment

I noticed in your video that your bridge is a Jackson by Floyd Rose. I am not certain but I think the saddles on it are zinc like on a Floyd Rose Special. Reason I say this is their replacement saddles are priced similar to the Special saddles. If that is the case the they would be prone to stripping like the Special saddles are know for. That's one of the reason there is Floyd Rose Special hate. How easily the saddles strip. Your 1000 series you bought should be more durable.

Comment

Originally posted by Dak View Post
          I noticed in your video that your bridge is a Jackson by Floyd Rose. I am not certain but I think the saddles on it are zinc like on a Floyd Rose Special. Reason I say this is their replacement saddles are priced similar to the Special saddles. If that is the case the they would be prone to stripping like the Special saddles are know for.
          This. I used to take all the strings off of Floyds all the time in the late '80s and early '90s, without having the Floyd propped up, and never stripped anything.

I have, however, stripped a few locking screws on the nut after tightening too much.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post

This. I used to take all the strings off of Floyds all the time in the late '80s and early '90s, without having the Floyd propped up, and never stripped anything.

I have, however, stripped a few locking screws on the nut after tightening too much.
            you are both right, but like I said, the action is so much higher and when I lower the bridge plate, i lose a lot of sustain. but the specials are not compatible in terms of dimensions right? I mean, they might both be zinc alloy, but they are different measurements aren't they?

Comment

Originally posted by uglijimus View Post

you are both right, but like I said, the action is so much higher and when I lower the bridge plate, i lose a lot of sustain. but the specials are not compatible in terms of dimensions right? I mean, they might both be zinc alloy, but they are different measurements aren't they?
              The Special saddles are dimensionally the same as the 1000 series you bought. You might try a Special base plate Special Series Tremolo Base Plate – Floyd Rose since it's dimensionally the same as and OFR or 1000 series. I've never physically seen a "by Floyd Rose" bridge. Maybe it is thicker so they made the saddles thinner. You could get a 1000 series base plate since the whole plate is hardened like an OFR instead of just the knife edges. 1000 Series Tremolo Base Plate – Floyd Rose but that turns it into a $55.50 experiment.

Comment

yeah, the experimentation could become quite expensive. I think I found some zinc alloy saddles on line (probably Chinese) that look like mine and they are relatively cheap, so I may try those...

Comment

Hmmm. I thought the only Floyd with different dimensions (and string spacing) was the Floyd Pro.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by uglijimus View Post
                    yeah, the experimentation could become quite expensive. I think I found some zinc alloy saddles on line (probably Chinese) that look like mine and they are relatively cheap, so I may try those...
                    Floyd Rose sells replacement saddles for the By Floyd Rose Bridge. In theory they should be the same as what was on there. Could contact Floyd Rose and ask what the difference is between them and the 1000 series.

Comment

Floyd Rose sells replacement saddles for the By Floyd Rose Bridge. In theory they should be the same as what was on there. Could contact Floyd Rose and ask what the difference is between them and the 1000 series.
                      when I called them, (took them a long time to get back) they said that they didn't know exactly what the sadldles on my jackson were, but i should be good with the 1000 series.

Comment

Well the FR Special base plate is only $4.24 more than the Made by Floyd Rose saddles. I don't know what the price on the zinc saddles you found are but I think I would get the FR Special plate before I bought any more zinc saddles since they are really a downgrade from the 1000 series.

Comment

Too lazy and you get
                          I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Another thing you may know but worth mentioning, if the Floyd isn't level (pulled high from strings) it would cause your action to raise. Nice video btw!

Comment

Originally posted by z1n View Post
                              Another thing you may know but worth mentioning, if the Floyd isn't level (pulled high from strings) it would cause your action to raise. Nice video btw!
                              oh, mine's level. that's a pet peeve of mine! and thanks for the compliment!
                              oh

Comment

Working...
                              X