Active pickups and USB rechargeable batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active pickups and USB rechargeable batteries

I can't seem to get an answer out of Google, so I'll ask here (didn't JCF have a pickups section? Where did it go?). What tonal difference should I expect between these three? I play Black/Death Metal. I've been using an SD Invader most of the time, rarely trying other pickups, only to find anything else passive is too weak. I plan on getting a guitar with actives and dropping it to C#,

Has anyone tried rechargeable USB 9V batteries? Are they reliable?
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Considering the lifespan of a 9v on a guitar, just buy a Duracell every few years.
    Rechargeable batteries tend to lose power even when not in use. And they, after repeated charges, don't offer the same amount of power, which would mean they can't power your electronics.

*think of your cell phone - after a year or two, it starts to randomly shut off. Your phone isn't broken, the battery simply can't run it. Which is why Apple slowed down some older phones (and got sued for it), by slowing down the processors, it allows the battery to power on.

Comment

I wouldn't do it unless you can find one which has three lithium cells (which I've never even seen). or run two in series. those two cell lithium rechargeable "9 v" batteries are really only 7.4 v nominal. when they're fully charged they might read 8.4 volts but they'll very quickly go down to 7.4 volts, which means your headroom is gonna be shit. if you ever played actives on a dying battery you know what it will sound like.

however, if you put two of those batteries in series you'd I'd reckon it would work pretty well.

personally I like the energizer ultimate lithium 9 v batteries (the disposable lithium, not rechargeable lithium ion). they won't leak charge over time.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
        Rechargeable batteries tend to lose power even when not in use. And they, after repeated charges, don't offer the same amount of power, which would mean they can't power your electronics.
        this is generally true but there are exceptions with some nickel metal hydride batteries which keep their charge over time, and also last through many hundreds of charge cycles. panasonic eneloop is one. I've got some eneloop AA's in some of my remote controls that are going strong for years on a single charge. of course I still wouldn't recommend them for a guitar unless you're purposefully padding the nominal voltage so you don't lose headroom.

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
          I play Black/Death Metal. I've been using an SD Invader most of the time, rarely trying other pickups, only to find anything else passive is too weak. I plan on getting a guitar with actives and dropping it to C#,
          Sounds like You need to look at a better amp my friend, or put an overdrive in front of it to push it into a nice, tight, high gain sound.

??????Granted, a decent high output pickup is a good thing, but there are plenty of people who play the same music with much lower output pickups.

As for pickup recommendations though:

My favorite pickup ever, for everything, is the "Bill 'n Becky L500XL" (Wilde Pickups). I used to use the Dimebucker (also a good high output passive pup), but the 500XL is superior. It just has an amazing clarity, even at maximum gain.

If you must have the tightest possible sound, nothing beats an EMG-81. It's a dogawful sound, but it is super tight.

Comment

I am a emg fan, have many guitars with them. I change batteries with energizer or duracell once a year to be safe, havent had an oh shit whats happening moment in years

Comment

Is this what I should be buying?:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114742272...53.m1438.l2649

All I could get today was a Procell 9V battery.
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                Is this what I should be buying?:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114742272...53.m1438.l2649

All I could get today was a Procell 9V battery.
                yeah those are my favorite disposable lithiums. they last forever and there's no chance of leaking.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post

yeah those are my favorite disposable lithiums. they last forever and there's no chance of leaking.
                  Thanks, ordered two. ETA 20th August. Shit. I'll use that Procell I bought for now.
                  Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

alkalines will hold up for a year or two but after that you risk the battery leaking shmoo all in the inside of your guitar

Comment

Is shmoo the technical term for battery acid these days?
                      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Working...
                      X