Which EMG set is closer to the Jackson J-200 / J-50BC, and other questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which EMG set is closer to the Jackson J-200 / J-50BC, and other questions

As part of my Soloist restoration, I've decided to get it back to the original HSS. Rather than track down the original Jackson electronics, I want to go with new EMG electronics, since the guitar was already heavily modified. My goal with this is to be brand new while preserving original vibe.

Would the ceramic set, S/S/81(TW), or the alnico set, SA/SA/89, be a closer match? Or is it worth trying the X versions, because the original Jackson pickups were passives and the EMG X preamps are supposed to sound more like passives?

Is it worth adding an SPC? I know the SPC and JE-1200 boost different mid frequencies.

I can't say about the J-200 but I don't think any of the active EMGs I've played sound even close to the J-50bc. they're all (at least the active ones) much louder. maybe the EMG-57 is worth trying since it's advertised as being like a "PAF" but I haven't had the chance to play one.

if really want something close to the j-50bc/je-1200 combo you might also look at the EMG ALX set. but that's a passive humbucker + midboost. not sure what to do about the single coils in that case, I guess you'd be limited to the S1 thru S4.

Comment

So the J-50BC is PAFfy but with a ceramic edge? Hmm, I think I've got that well covered with other guitars. Though tracking down the original Jackson pickups and electronics came out comparable to the bundles EMG offers, I did want this Soloist to be my EMG guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by DesolationBlvd View Post
        So the J-50BC is PAFfy but with a ceramic edge? Hmm, I think I've got that well covered with other guitars. Though tracking down the original Jackson pickups and electronics came out comparable to the bundles EMG offers, I did want this Soloist to be my EMG guitar.
        https://www.emgpickups.com/hot-70.html Maybe listen to demos of these. Um I had the J50 in my Jackson Kelly Performer, worst pickups I ever heard. Very low output, even lower than single coils I've tried. I had to hit the strings at max strength to get them any distortion. Anything is better than that. The EMG 81 is like comparing a beat up VW bug to a porsche.

https://youtu.be/GbCc3SskJjM Demo

Comment

Originally posted by DanzoStrife View Post

https://www.emgpickups.com/hot-70.html Maybe listen to demos of these. Um I had the J50 in my Jackson Kelly Performer, worst pickups I ever heard. Very low output, even lower than single coils I've tried. I had to hit the strings at max strength to get them any distortion. Anything is better than that. The EMG 81 is like comparing a beat up VW bug to a porsche.

https://youtu.be/GbCc3SskJjM Demo
          nothing wrong with the j-50. it sounds like a paf. yours sounds like it might have been broken. or maybe they got worse in the 90s.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post

nothing wrong with the j-50. it sounds like a paf. yours sounds like it might have been broken. or maybe they got worse in the 90s.
            Could be it? It sounded very very quiet.I had it changed out for a Seymour Duncan SH5, but I forgot to ask my luthier if there was a problem with the wiring. Anyways, sold that back in 2011

Comment

Originally posted by DanzoStrife View Post

Could be it? It sounded very very quiet.I had it changed out for a Seymour Duncan SH5, but I forgot to ask my luthier if there was a problem with the wiring. Anyways, sold that back in 2011
              Wasn't the J-50 designed to work best with preamps like the JE-1200 or JE-1000 ? It would explain why it sounded so weak on its own

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonheadfr View Post

Wasn't the J-50 designed to work best with preamps like the JE-1200 or JE-1000 ? It would explain why it sounded so weak on its own
                it's designed to be "paf-like". it's a low output pickup when compared to hotter ones, but not weak. should have a similar output level to, say, a duncan '59.

Comment

There's a J-50, a J-50B and a J50BC.

The J-50 was a low output pickup for the neck, not the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                    There's a J-50, a J-50B and a J50BC.

The J-50 was a low output pickup for the neck, not the bridge.
                    This. The J50 was one of the best sounding neck pickups I've ever tried. Very PAF-like. I haven't had a guitar with one in a long time, but from what I recall, it reminded me of a cross between a Duncan '59 and Duncan Jazz.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                    X