Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone use 8-38 or even 7-38 gauge strings, in STANDARD TUNING, 6-string, with Floyd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update: I found a local source that stocks the Dunlop Billy Gibbons (7-38) gauge set. If I buy and install them, I will provide another review.

Originally posted by CaptNasty View Post
    Now I have 12 boxes of D’Addario 9s that I am not using.
    Those might be worth using in E-flat-standard or D-standard tuning, or even drop-D-flat like you said you use where the 8s were too spaghetti-like.

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
    They also make an 8.5. Like, seriously - 8.5? Because 0.008" is too light and 0.009" is too heavy?
    That's precisely it. I haven't tried them since I don't need that level of granularity, but you can really fine-tune your tension preferences with those half-gauge sets.

Comment

I've only had a few playing sessions with the Ernie Ball 8-38 set and they're already starting to tarnish. I don't know why, but for me, Ernie Ball strings don't last very long, while D'Addario lasts far longer. And I don't know why I've seen other people swear by Ernie Ball strings for their longevity and hate D'Addario for going dead quickly. On one guitar, I tried coated Ernie Ball strings and they tarnished faster than uncoated strings, which baffled me. Maybe Ernie Ball strings don't play nice with my climate or my skin oil chemistry. I think I'm just not meant to enjoy Ernie Ball strings and I'll never be like the great list of artists listed on the back of every pack of Ernie Ball strings who are loyal to the brand.

A great string type I've been enjoying on another guitar is D'Addario XT (but 9-46 gauge). High carbon steel strings that are treated/coated, but feel like uncoated strings, which apparently replaces their EXP line (which I also previously enjoyed). I've had about the same number of hours of playing on this XT-equipped guitar as I have with the Ernie Ball 8-38 set and they still look, feel, and sound brand new. I hope D'Addario considers releasing an 8-38 set in their XT format. Maybe I should try their 8-38 NYXL set.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
        I've only had a few playing sessions with the Ernie Ball 8-38 set and they're already starting to tarnish. I don't know why, but for me, Ernie Ball strings don't last very long, while D'Addario lasts far longer. And I don't know why I've seen other people swear by Ernie Ball strings for their longevity and hate D'Addario for going dead quickly. On one guitar, I tried coated Ernie Ball strings and they tarnished faster than uncoated strings, which baffled me. Maybe Ernie Ball strings don't play nice with my climate or my skin oil chemistry. I think I'm just not meant to enjoy Ernie Ball strings and I'll never be like the great list of artists listed on the back of every pack of Ernie Ball strings who are loyal to the brand.

A great string type I've been enjoying on another guitar is D'Addario XT (but 9-46 gauge). High carbon steel strings that are treated/coated, but feel like uncoated strings, which apparently replaces their EXP line (which I also previously enjoyed). I've had about the same number of hours of playing on this XT-equipped guitar as I have with the Ernie Ball 8-38 set and they still look, feel, and sound brand new. I hope D'Addario considers releasing an 8-38 set in their XT format. Maybe I should try their 8-38 NYXL set.
        ernie balls don't last for shit for me, either. I'm in the same boat as you with EB and d'addario. one thing about the ernie ball coated strings is only the wounds strings are coated. the plains are just normal plains, the same you'd get in a slinky pack. they're not "anti-tarnish" plains like elixir makes.

NYXL d'addarios are good strings but I didn't find that that lasted any longer than XL's.

Comment

The tarnishing primarily affects my ability to bend the high strings, where the tarnish grinds against the frets, and less so for the wound strings... so for a company to not coat the strings that matter most for bending is very odd to me. Thanks for that info. I guess I'll finish using my current supply of Ernie Ball and then try the Dunlop Billy Gibbons 7-38 set I managed to find locally, hoping Dunlops last longer than Ernie Balls.

Comment

Working...
          X