saddle order? what the hell...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saddle order? what the hell...

So I bought some Korean made FR 1000 saddles from FR.com based on what the tech at FR told me on the phone. I look on the underside, and you would THINK there should be a number corresponding with each string 1-6, but instead, there is bunch of mystery numbers and dots. This is so frustrating...

does anyone know the correct order of which saddle belongs to which string? Here is what I have:

- 3 dots + #4
    -2 dots + # 2
    -1 dot + # 4
    -3 dots + #2
    -2 dots + #4
    -1 dot with NO numbers.

what in god's name is this number system and why???? aaaagggghhhhhhh
    Please visit my all metal youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/helmoftheantilemon/videos

Even if you disregard the numbers, line up all the saddles. The shortest ones are your 1st and 6th strings. The medium ones are your 2nd and 5th strings. The tallest ones are for your 3rd and 4th strings. This will give you a radius.

Comment

ok, thanks this makes sense. But it is not easy for me to determine the height. am I the only one? why not just right numbers on them to begin with?

Comment

I got some 1000 series saddles recently. They seemed to be in the right order in the package so I ignored the makings and put them in the order they were in when I received them. They seem to be right on the guitar.

Comment

Lay them on a very flat surface and it'll be clear the correct order. It is annoying how often the numbers are deceiving though.
          Database (WIP) https://mechas64castles.net/CharvelJackson.html
          My collection also there!

Comment

Originally posted by Dak View Post
            I got some 1000 series saddles recently. They seemed to be in the right order in the package so I ignored the makings and put them in the order they were in when I received them. They seem to be right on the guitar.
            you know, I thought about that AFTER I already opened them, I never thought I would have had this problem to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by uglijimus View Post

you know, I thought about that AFTER I already opened them, I never thought I would have had this problem to begin with.
              Laying them on a flat surface like Mechayoshi suggests may be the best bet. I have another set on the way. Should be here in a couple days. I can look at the order they are in the package and post it then for future reference.

Comment

Laying them on a flat surface like Mechayoshi suggests may be the best bet. I have another set on the way. Should be here in a couple days. I can look at the order they are in the package and post it then for future reference.
                please do. I was about to put my on this way, but i just would like to make sure. I appreciate it.

Comment

Got my saddles in today. Here is the order they are in the pack.

E - 1 Dot
                  B - 2 Dots
                  G - 3 Dots
                  D - 3 Dots
                  A - 2 Dots
                  E - 1 Dot

Mine had no numbers.

Comment

Got my saddles in today. Here is the order they are in the pack.

E - 1 Dot
                    B - 2 Dots
                    G - 3 Dots
                    D - 3 Dots
                    A - 2 Dots
                    E - 1 Dot

Mine had no numbers.
                    and with this pattern, does it seem to create an arch with the tallest part in the middle?

Comment

Have you seriously gone five days without trying to line them up as Mechayoshi and I advised earlier in this thread? (We're not wrong, by the way!) What do you have to lose (aside from five days without a fully assembled trem)?

Owners of the Ibanez Edge trem system don't have this problem because the baseplate is pre-radiused with correct little "platforms" on which the saddles sit, and all the saddles are identical. So even if you jumble the saddles, it doesn't matter what order you put them back.

But still, even if you accidentally jumble Floyd saddles, just line them up with the shortest on the outside and the tallest in the middle...

Comment

123321 is the correct way! Yes it's setup for the neck radius. Sometimes you might need to shim them because not all neck's have the same fretboard radius. I wouldn't advise you to work on your bridges anymore if you can't google stuff or watch a youtube video or listen to forum members even though you got one different person saying one thing. I would never just slap on saddles without checking numbers dots or heights.
                        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by uglijimus View Post

and with this pattern, does it seem to create an arch with the tallest part in the middle?
                          Yes.

Comment

I just noticed mine do have numbers on them but they are on the part the string locks into which would be the same part on all the saddles. I think it is the cavity number on a multipart die and can be ignored. The dots tell the position.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post
                              123321 is the correct way! Yes it's setup for the neck radius. Sometimes you might need to shim them because not all neck's have the same fretboard radius. I wouldn't advise you to work on your bridges anymore if you can't google stuff or watch a youtube video or listen to forum members even though you got one different person saying one thing. I would never just slap on saddles without checking numbers dots or heights.
                              I just figured that Floyd Rose packaged them in the right order. So far I'm two for two that they did. I mean once they were on the bridge I verified the heights were correct before I put strings on. That's what "they seem right on the guitar" meant.

Comment

Working...
                              X