Interchangeable Floyds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interchangeable Floyds

I have a 1986 Soloist Custom with Floyd Rose (original, screw in arm, made in Germany, not Jackson branded) that I'd like to replace with a correct model for that year. I've seen lots of units on eBay that are from '80s Kramers or just '80s OEM without a guitar brand specified. Are these mid '80s "original" Floyds the same units that were used on the1985-1986 Jacksons? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by avs3259; 05-21-2021, 11:10 AM.

I always thought that none of the original floyd roses of jacksons/charvels from that era were standard, for the reason that anyone who wanted a j/c with an original floyd rose at that time, due to licensing, had to secure the bridge themselves (usually by stripping a kramer) and send in the bridge to j/c for installation.

though, I do realize my comprehension of the timeline of j/c and floyd rose availability is second-hand and fuzzy at best. maybe someone else can provide more specific info.
    Last edited by metalhobo; 05-21-2021, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
      I always thought that none of the original floyd roses of jacksons/charvels from that era were standard, for the reason that anyone who wanted a j/c with an original floyd rose at that time, due to licensing, had to secure the bridge themselves (usually by stripping a kramer) and send in the bridge to j/c for installation.

though, I do realize my comprehension of the timeline of j/c and floyd rose availability is second-hand and fuzzy at best. maybe someone else can provide more specific info.

Non-standard doesn't mean non-original.
      You are correct, if you wanted an FR, you needed to supply it yourself. Jackson would gladly install it for you - hence, factory original.

Comment

So, to answer your question; an original floyd rose made in Germany and not frt 1000 thats made in Korea.
        I had a "Custom soloist" from 87 or 88 that had a original floyd. They are mostly custom's due to the year made. though mine had silver and gold flakes, it didn't glow in the dark or have a graphic or anything that and SL-1 wouldn't have had.
        Last edited by john.w.lawson; 05-21-2021, 01:46 PM.
        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

I bought my '86 Soloist in 2010 not knowing much about them. The Floyd on this guitar is chrome. All the other '80s Soloists I've seen have black Floyds so I'm wondering if it was changed at some point. I'd like to put it back to original. However if the buyer had to supply the bridge then maybe my chrome Floyd is original. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by avs3259 View Post
            I bought my '86 Soloist in 2010 not knowing much about them. The Floyd on this guitar is chrome. All the other '80s Soloists I've seen have black Floyds so I'm wondering if it was changed at some point. I'd like to put it back to original. However if the buyer had to supply the bridge then maybe my chrome Floyd is original. Any thoughts?
            could definitely be original. the oldest floyds were all chrome. I don't know when they started having black, but they definitely had chrome first. also if it has the old style arm (I'm assuming this is the one you meant by "screw in") that's another clue it might be original.

got any pictures?

Comment

Carvin started offering Floyd Rose in 1988 - and they were available in black.
              Kramer had Chrome, Gold, and Black in 1985.
              Last edited by pianoguyy; 05-21-2021, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                Carvin started offering Floyd Rose in 1988 - and they were available in black.
                Kramer had Chrome, Gold, and Black in 1985.
                Mine was gold, if it was original who cares. when you restore a car and get some parts off year one it doesn't turn a 250,000.00 grand 70 cuda into a POS. Its still a 250 grand car.

if you want it back to what it was to sell, put a JT-6 or kahler on it because thats all thats known for that year for certain.
                I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

jt-6 came out in 1987

Comment

Here's two simple questions !. does it have a kahler nut 2. what color are the bushings

Comment

Originally posted by avs3259 View Post
                      Can you post a picture of your soloist? and as pianoguyy has stated, the year doesn't necessarily begin in Jan and end in Dec

Comment

i1565-x.jpg i1568-x.jpg i1623-x-black post.jpg i1588-x.jpg jcf11.jpg jcf08.jpg

The posts are black. Tremolo arm is early style (threaded). s/n J 2 6 2 x - built in Glendora, 1986; FR "Made in Germany".
                        Last edited by avs3259; 05-22-2021, 07:07 AM.

Comment

the posts remind me of a JT-6

Comment

jt-6 post and floyd posts are different diameter so it should be simple to check if they are floyd posts

but that swings back to that fact that... even if they're not floyd posts does that preclude the bridge being non-original? what would have happened if customer q. schmoe forgets to mail in the posts to j/c along with the trem in 1986? does j/c send back the bridge with an angry scrawled note reading, "hey dimwit, you forgot the posts and studs!" or do they grab what they have on hand?

Comment

jt-6 post and floyd posts are different diameter so it should be simple to check if they are floyd posts

but that swings back to that fact that... even if they're not floyd posts does that preclude the bridge being non-original? what would have happened if customer q. schmoe forgets to mail in the posts to j/c along with the trem in 1986? does j/c send back the bridge with an angry scrawled note reading, "hey dimwit, you forgot the posts and studs!" or do they grab what they have on hand?
                              You can put a floyd on JT-6 posts. I know this to be factual. And you can buy floyd inserts to go into JT-6's bushings. frets on the net used to sell that stuff.

Those are indeed JT-6 post and bushings

JT-6 posts.jpg
                              Last edited by john.w.lawson; 05-22-2021, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X