Sorry to ask again, but.... strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry to ask again, but.... strings

I've used Ernie Balls for as long as I can remember, but I want to try something "better". I've tried searching, but can't really find any good topics about this.

It seems like GHS Boomers were the concensus strings here years ago, but I don't remember for sure.

I'm sticking with either 9s or 10s. What do you recommend? (I'll be using a lot of heavy floyd)

Originally posted by thebigz View Post
    I've used Ernie Balls for as long as I can remember, but I want to try something "better". I've tried searching, but can't really find any good topics about this.

It seems like GHS Boomers were the concensus strings here years ago, but I don't remember for sure.

I'm sticking with either 9s or 10s. What do you recommend? (I'll be using a lot of heavy floyd)
    I played Ernie Ball, kept breaking it, then I tried D'addarios regular ones, same story. Now I use NYXL and so far so good, I do lots of bends, I give guitar abuse and strings it can take it.

aslo, they sound really good. Try them

Comment

I like d'addario XLs. on my kahlers I use SIT strings

OP, I would at least try out the normal d'addario XLs before you try the NYXLs. if they work well for you stick with them. the cost of the NYXLs IMO is not worth any slight differences in sound or feel as long as you're not constantly breaking the XLs.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
        I like d'addario XLs. on my kahlers I use SIT strings

OP, I would at least try out the normal d'addario XLs before you try the NYXLs. if they work well for you stick with them. the cost of the NYXLs IMO is not worth any slight differences in sound or feel as long as you're not constantly breaking the XLs.
        yea that was the case with me i kept breaking them on my hardtail bridge guitars, NYXL seems to hold up the abuse. they are pricy but I save money buying one time and not constantly buying new regulars.

try regulars, if you like and last long for you stick to it.

Comment

GHS Boomers for me. I have some D'Addario XL strings my father in law bought for me but I still prefer my Boomers over them.

Comment

Well I just ordered some XL 9s. If I'm not a fan I'll go for ghs next

Comment

Like Paul said, "The cheapest stuff is all I need"

I get 2 shows out of any of the run of the mill strings - D'Addario, Ernie Ball.. If I buy Elixr or some colored strings, I get 1 more show out of them.

Comment

I have GHS boomers on all my guitar's 9-42 They last long and just like any other string if you keep your hands clean they'll last even longer
                I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

I just strung up a new set of XLs - my initial opinion of them is WOW. This was on a MIJ DKMG that I haven't had in playing condition for years, so maybe they wow, is jut from pretty much getting a new guitar.

We'll see how they hold up.

I'll throw some on my model 5 and soloist and see what I think (I bought the 3 pack, so I may as well use them, right?)

Comment

I like D'Addario XL or DR Tite Fit. I'm not a big trem abuser though. I play 9s except on my down tuned guitars.

Comment

Working...
                    X