Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anybody ever weighed an original Jackson tuner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anybody ever weighed an original Jackson tuner?

Hi, I'm new here.

I have a Jackson SL2H. The body is incredibly light, and the neck is a-ok light.
    The guitar doesn't neck dive per se, but if I'm playing sitting without a strap, it does neck dive very slightly to a point that bothers me

Anyway, I'm thinking about getting open gear hipshots for my Jackson, but I don't know it it will be worth the effort/money, since I don't know if the tuners will be any lighter than what the originals are.

These Jackson tuners look reasonably similar to Gotoh's (which weigh ~210g / 7.4oz)...

Any thoughts on how much these weigh?
    not sure it matters but the guitar is US made

Thanks!

I believe they are Jackson branded Gotohs. If you find something that weighs a significant amount less then it might be a worth the investment since the tuners on a lock nutted guitar doesnt really matter that much.(assuming its a floyded guitar)

However i have been totalle spoiled by locking tuners and the ease of string change with them but locking tuners weigh more than regulars i would think.
    Last edited by ed; 01-31-2021, 04:33 PM.

Comment

is there any tuner lighter than an LSR? not that I'm suggesting OP buy those, as they haven't been made in over a decade.

Comment

I replaced my SL2HT and SL2H tuners with Gotoh SG38's. Simple drop-in replacement.
        The USA Jackson tuners are indeed Gotohs.

The 210g weight you gave for the Gotohs sounds accurate because my Gotohs appear slightly larger than my Jacksons.
        My Jacksons are 186g total.
        How much do the Hipshots weigh?

If you take the buttons off of your tuners you'll lose some weight.

96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

The smallest lightweight tuners I have found are these ones from Gotoh : https://g-gotoh.com/product/st31/?lang=en
          They are 71 grams for 6 tuners, but I think you will have to drill extra holes in the headstock.

Comment

Holy hell, 71 grams is like removing 3.5 Jackson tuners. No doubt you'll feel the difference.

I must say, the SL2H is a very well balanced guitar when standing/playing
            but, you're right...it does fall forward when you sit and rest it on your right thigh.
            I don't, however, feel removing head stock weight would improve it for me.
            If I let go of my neck it'd be on the floor in an instant.

I remedy it by crossing my right leg over my left. A foot rest of sorts would also work.
            96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

thanks guys. I just bought some hipshots open gear non locking. Let's see what happens to the headstock weight. I'll post back when I'm done. It will take several weeks since I'm swamped at work.

Comment

Working...
              X