update on my FR tuning stability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• update on my FR tuning stability

So i made a video on the 5 things I did to my FR over the past few years and whether or not it helped with my tuning stability. I know I could just stick an original FR in there and probably be done with it, but I kind of enjoy trying these little tips and tricks to see if there are any improvements. Hopefully this might help someone out there
    Please visit my all metal youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/helmoftheantilemon/videos

There’s a lot to process there...

you should check out some of the tech articles at Ibanezrules. Pretty much a master class on a how to get the most from a floating trem.

some tips:

1. Won’t float right if it isn’t parallel to the body. Not sure how it got there, but you need to correct that.
    2. Tune to low neutral. That’s after pushing down on the trem rather than pulling up. You’re tuning to High Neutral.
    3. If all is good, after diving down you should return to tune. No pull ups yet. If not troubleshoot.
    4. After success with the above step, pull up and see what the difference is at high neutral. A few cents up is typically considered as good as its going to get. if you’re too far off then your knife edges need to be sharpened or posts are loose or worn.
    5. Chapstick on the posts really does work!

Trem says Jackson on it, so likely a licensed Floyd rose. Lots of articles here about those and why / how to rep,ace with the real deal.

Good luck!

Comment

thanks for that. I can't wait to try the chapstick, but in the meantime, what is #2?? what is low netural and high neutral? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by uglijimus View Post
        thanks for that. I can't wait to try the chapstick, but in the meantime, what is #2?? what is low netural and high neutral? thanks
        even with the best possible stability, the bridge will always return to "neutral" tiny bit lower after doing a divebomb and a little bit higher after pulling up. this is called hysteresis. triminmotion is suggesting that you perform fine tuning consistently when the bridge is in that lower position. you can consistently recreate this lower position by depressing the bridge a consistent amount then letting it return.

Comment

What about if you do a flutter? Which position does the trem return to low or high neutral?

Comment

Originally posted by ed View Post
            What about if you do a flutter? Which position does the trem return to low or high neutral?
            I'm not sure but I'd guess it would depend on if you flicked the bridge up or down to flutter.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post

even with the best possible stability, the bridge will always return to "neutral" tiny bit lower after doing a divebomb and a little bit higher after pulling up. this is called hysteresis. triminmotion is suggesting that you perform fine tuning consistently when the bridge is in that lower position. you can consistently recreate this lower position by depressing the bridge a consistent amount then letting it return.
              but that's only going to work if I'm divebombing right? If I pull it's not going to return to neutral right?

Comment

Originally posted by uglijimus View Post

but that's only going to work if I'm divebombing right? If I pull it's not going to return to neutral right?
                I think the idea is that if the strings go a little flat it doesn't sound as bad as if they go a little sharp. but I may be wrong.

Comment

First thing's first.

Before you do any pulling up at all, you need to make sure your dive-bombs return to perfect pitch every time.

So to start - NO PULL UPS. Pretend your tremolo is incapable of being pulled up. Resist the urge.

Get down and back working perfectly. If that isn't working right, then you need to resolve that first. Once you've verified that's working, then you can move on to dealing with how accurate your returns from pull ups are.
                  Last edited by triminmotion; 12-21-2020, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by triminmotion View Post
                    First thing's first.

Before you do any pulling up at all, you need to make sure your dive-bombs return to perfect pitch every time.

So to start - NO PULL UPS. Pretend your tremolo is incapable of being pulled up. Resist the urge.

Get down and back working perfectly. If that isn't working right, then you need to resolve that first. Once you've verified that's working, then you can move on to dealing with how accurate your returns from pull ups are.
                    that's really interesting...thanks I think i'll try that!

Comment

Working...
                    X