Alternative strap locks to Schaller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative strap locks to Schaller?

That is the style of strap lock I like. Not a fan of the newer style - I believe called S Locks with the thick nut with hex locking.
    But I really hate that they don't have a standard sized thread. You know, the kind I can go buy a replacement nut for a quarter at the hardware store.
    The washers I can buy. Those are cheap and easy. Nuts - not so much.

As I browse Amazon, I see some other manufacturers making this style. Some with some minor changes, such as a longer neck allowing for thicker straps, or a washer that is padded which will help prevent the nut from spinning loose (not that it is a problem).

So, I can't help but wonder if any of these cheaper alternatives use a standard thread size that I can buy nuts at a HW store when needed?

Any ideas or suggestions?

There is a Grover Brand that appears to be very similar to the Schaller in your pic.

Sweetwater shows they are available in
    Chrome, Nickel, Black, Gold.
    An old 2009 Post in a Gibson Thread says they are compatible with Schaller Pins.
    No mention of Schaller actually being the Manufacturer doing a ReBrand.

I only did a little looking, so IDK if the Grover name is
    Jackson or not.

Another thing that surprises me is the amount of people that prefer Dunlop Strap Locks.
    I have no experience and I have never talked with anyone who has used Dunlop.
    " MY Own Opinion " ~ Dulop looks weak.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ119 View Post
      I only did a little looking, so IDK if the Grover name is
      Jackson or not.
      Grover has been around for decades and has nothing to do with Jackson.
      But, yes, Grover Jackson is doing machining these days (in addition to GJ2).

Comment

I know you have a far FAR greater knowledge than I will acquire.

Was taking a wild stab.
        [ Thank You For The Info. ]

Comment

I really like the Dunlop Dual Design StrapLok.

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-ha...ok-system.html

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...r-system-black

All Parts sells the buttons by themselves too.

https://www.allparts.com/products/ap...8cead16b&_ss=r
          Last edited by Razor; 10-28-2020, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Razor

Interesting.
            There is a guy at Strat Talk that made his Dunlops
            Flush Mount, or Recessed. He's working on a copy of
            Ritchie Blackmore's Strat.

Again, only what I have read about Dunlop,
            some say they are Great, some say they fail often.
            I know things can fail. And it's depending on who says it happened to Them, or a friend of a friend who knows a guy whose cousin ...

I guess what I mean is,
            To Each His Own, and I am going to rethink my position.
            You have Beautiful guitars. I don't think you would trust an Iffy strap lock.

Is there anything you can add as to why you chose Dunlop?

Comment

Well Hung makes Large Strap Buttons.
              check it out if anyone doesn't want Locks.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ119 View Post
                Razor
                Is there anything you can add as to why you chose Dunlop?
                Nothing other than they just work. Before I got into playing guitar most of my guitar playing friends used the Dunlop's so I had seen them work for years. I like the fact that if I have a strap that doesn't have the StrapLok on it I can still use it because of the dual design. I can't sling it around but I can still put a guitar strap on it without the lock. I've never had a lock fail and I jerk the mortal piss out of mine function checking them. I do the same with the quick connects on my slings for my AR's. I've used them for years. You also see them as standard equipment on older guitars like the Peavey Destiny Custom.

It's like Ford, Dodge and Chevy. Everyone has their own preference.

Comment

the whole point is - i like that style/design. Fender makes them. Kmise. Walker & Williams. Bunch of cheap chinese knockoff brands.
                  Not a fan of the Dunlop style. And, good lord, if I buy one more used guitar with those god awful Dimarzio quick release things.

Comment

pianoguyy

I am calling the Shop tomorrow, I am looking for Schaller now.
                    If they have the Original Design, [ Not the S Lock ] I'll see what Finishes
                    they have, and if you are interested, I'll let you know.
                    May just get lucky and they have a few.

They had the Chrome OFR and installed it on the Eerie Dess a couple weeks ago.
                    Couldn't find one online.

Those Dimarzio plastic strap clips things ~~ ABSOFREAKINLUTELY no way!

Comment

i can see why people might not like the look of dimarzio clip locks... but the other strap locks (schaller, dunlop, etc) look no better IMO, the way they stick out from the body. it's like the guitar's on stilts. but that's not the point of this thread, just felt like jumping in to defend my choice to put clip locks on 8/10 of my electrics.

tbh I would expect to see gibson guys poo poo the clip locks but it's kind of surprising from the j/c crowd.
                      Last edited by metalhobo; 10-30-2020, 10:18 PM.

Comment

pianoguyy

Just throwing it out for info.

He has Schaller Old Design in Gold.
                        New Design in Black & Chrome.

Fender, like the Old Style Schaller Design in Chrome.

Comment

I must have done a piss poor job of explaining the situation....

Does anyone body know if any of the knock-brands with the old (but still available) Schaller style uses a standard sized thread so that I can buy replacements for a quarter instead of $15.

Comment

[ Removed ]
                            Last edited by JJ119; 11-01-2020, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X