Oy Vey, my Floyd...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oy Vey, my Floyd...

The intonation is off and I move the saddles as far up as they can go. Still off by a cent or two. Do I start all over, moving the saddles to neutral on the baseplate?
    8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

Check if the pickups are too close to the strings. It can affect the intonation.

Comment

if you can not move them far enough in the direction you need to go to set the intonation, setting them in the middle will not help. Is you intonation to sharp, or to flat? have you changed strings latly? Is the neck straight? is the bridge level? are the trem posts ok? is the neck tight(if bolt on)? is the nut tight, and mounted properly? lots of things can effect intonation.

Comment

The notes at the 12th are flat. I adjusted the truss and flattened the neck (checked it against a straight edge). Bridge plate is level. Nut is secure. It does need new strings. The weather has warmed up considerably here in So Cal - we've had some 90• days.

Comment

The notes at the 12th are flat. I adjusted the truss and flattened the neck (checked it against a straight edge). Bridge plate is level. Nut is secure. It does need new strings. The weather has warmed up considerably here in So Cal - we've had some 90• days.

Comment

1. that's odd. usually we find that a floyd doesn't move back far enough.
            2. did you move to the next hole?
            3. make sure you are properly installing the strings.

Comment

Well, this is part of the problem...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tve6dllmi5...ddles.jpg?dl=0

I just took the OFR off my Fusion Special, to install in my Nuno N24 as an upgrade. In another post, I mentioned that the previous owner put the OFR in the Fusion and it always had intonation issues. Anyways I take the saddles off (I installed a Brass block, too) and you can see what happened, three #2s. I don't know how or what the guy before me did. So now I gotta order a new #1 saddle. Also, notice that two saddles have horizontal indentations in them, corresponding with the number. And the #2 on the far left has different looking circles than the others. I think all these saddles are from two different Floyds. (?)

Comment

Originally posted by FloydRose4Prez View Post
                Well, this is part of the problem...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tve6dllmi5...ddles.jpg?dl=0

I just took the OFR off my Fusion Special, to install in my Nuno N24 as an upgrade. In another post, I mentioned that the previous owner put the OFR in the Fusion and it always had intonation issues. Anyways I take the saddles off (I installed a Brass block, too) and you can see what happened, three #2s. I don't know how or what the guy before me did. So now I gotta order a new #1 saddle. Also, notice that two saddles have horizontal indentations in them, corresponding with the number. And the #2 on the far left has different looking circles than the others. I think all these saddles are from two different Floyds. (?)
                Sounds like someone was trying to get cute with the string height… or they were oblivious.

I am guessing you already know what the numbers mean.

Not sure how to “help”.
                Last edited by CaptNasty; 10-01-2021, 10:02 PM.

Comment

FloydRose4Prez

How did things work out?
                  Did you find new saddles?

==
                  For Future Reference for anyone that reads this thread ===

The Schaller- Made Floyd Rose Order

Low Saddle -- 2 dots or # 2 == 1st & 6th Strings [ E , E ]

Medium Saddle -- 1 dot or # 1 == 5th & 2nd Strings
                  [ A , B ]

High Saddle - NO Numbers or NO Dots == 4th & 3rd Strings
                  [ G , D ]

IF the Saddles are not Schaller - Made Floyd Rose, then the Saddle height might not be as obvious, or shims might be needed.

[ ETA ]

The Hash marks are 1980s Schaller - Floyd Rose.
                  Last edited by JJ119; 10-02-2021, 11:18 PM.

Comment

I ordered a new set.

Comment

Thanks for the Info!!

Comment

Will update you guys when I get the saddles, install Floyd and solder in new pickups.

Last edited by FloydRose4Prez; 10-05-2021, 02:45 PM.

Comment

So the OFR is in with new saddles but I got slight buzz on high E and bad buzz on the B (which I had with the Special), in addition to bad intonation on the G & B. Overall intonation is maybe 50% better than the Special. I think that this guitar is just a turkey, no good quality control out of the factory. Could it be that the Floyd routing was incorrect to begin with, the scale length is not accurate? I don't want to pay a guy but I might have to get a second opinion. Plus, it came with Buzz Feiten tuning, and I might have effed that up when I put in .10 gauge and then went back to .09s. The neck plays like a dream, they did that really well.
                          There is a clicking sound every now and again ( I think it's the truss rod. ) I put in new pickups (Guitar Fetish) but they are not the sound in my head.
                          So they're coming out and I think I am just gonna go SD TB4 and SH2n. Geez, What a process...

I ripped the pickups out of the Dinky Pro, too. I got a DP100 from an old LP copy I sold, but it is not F spaced. Got an EVH Wolf bridge p/u too.
                          I got a lot of pickups laying around right now.

And the Fusion Special needs a new bridge too. Can I drop in a 580?

Phew, that is all...
                          For now.

Comment

Originally posted by FloydRose4Prez View Post
                            So the OFR is in with new saddles but I got slight buzz on high E and bad buzz on the B (which I had with the Special), in addition to bad intonation on the G & B. Overall intonation is maybe 50% better than the Special. I think that this guitar is just a turkey, no good quality control out of the factory. Could it be that the Floyd routing was incorrect to begin with, the scale length is not accurate? I don't want to pay a guy but I might have to get a second opinion. Plus, it came with Buzz Feiten tuning, and I might have effed that up when I put in .10 gauge and then went back to .09s. The neck plays like a dream, they did that really well.
                            There is a clicking sound every now and again ( I think it's the truss rod. ) I put in new pickups (Guitar Fetish) but they are not the sound in my head.
                            So they're coming out and I think I am just gonna go SD TB4 and SH2n. Geez, What a process...

I ripped the pickups out of the Dinky Pro, too. I got a DP100 from an old LP copy I sold, but it is not F spaced. Got an EVH Wolf bridge p/u too.
                            I got a lot of pickups laying around right now.

And the Fusion Special needs a new bridge too. Can I drop in a 580?

Phew, that is all...
                            For now.
                            I don't think a you can put a 580 in place on a 590 or 500 I think the base is too big, might want to check the measurements on the 580 with your route though. I'm glad I didn't swap my original bridge with the frt1000 on my N2, looks like might have save some headaches. Might wanna look for the washburn bridge that the older ones came with I have not had any tuning or intonation issues.
                            I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

By the way a nut would not hinder your intonation unless you're fretting a note, Relief would however even with an open note. The only way a NUT would matter is if it's not in the right place ie moved forward or tilted ( which would move it forward or back) which is highly unlikely. While correct nut height is very important when you are playing and setting up action, open it's not likely to effect intonation.
                              I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Working...
                              X