Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on cleaning the back of my dk2 guitar neck (Video/Pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on cleaning the back of my dk2 guitar neck (Video/Pics)

Hello fellow Jackson owners, I recently bought a Jackson dk2 in Eerie Dess swirl and within a month the rock maple neck has accumulated quite a bit of grime. Within certain areas of the neck mostly near the first few frets, and last 10 there is a very apparent change in feel where the neck goes from a very smooth feeling to a kind of textured feeling. This change is also visual, only visible in some lighting and appears a darkish colour. This was not the case when I first purchased the guitar and I assume it has something to do with my very sweaty hands. What I would like to know is the best way to clean this and get my neck feeling smooth again. I will include some pictures and video just to help provide some insight into the issue, it was very hard to capture using my iPhone but I tried my best. Thanks in advance and I hope everyone is holding out in this tough time.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b5e1246ho...0-IOdt-Ga?dl=0

Apologies in advance after uploading the photos the quality is significantly worse....

The DK2 should have just a satin finish on the neck. Regular guitar polish will be fine to clean it.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Okay great thanks, not to question your knowledge but I was always under the impression that a satin finish had a type of wood grain feel like my Charvel San Dimas pro mod style 1. My Jackson on the other hand has a feel as if it was finished with something and there is some shine.

Comment

Matte satin is a smooth feel (similar in feel to tung oil or gunstock oil), just not a high shiny gloss finish. Though, over time, the satin can glosss up a little bit from your hand rubbing back and forth on it. It can always be buffed back down a little from the more glossy feel to satin (either with something like steel wool or a scotch brite pad). I'm not aware of Jackson using a high gloss finish on their bolt-on necks, just only on their painted neck-thru models. Either finish, if it feels sticky, just clean it with polish. If it's an actual oil finish, then you'd use some kind of lemon oil or something similar to clean and condition the wood.

Comment

With every bolt-neck Jackson, Charvel, and Ibanez I've owned in the past several years, one of my first cleaning tasks is removing the neck and AGGRESSIVELY ablating the back of the neck with 0000 grade steel wool. I want to purposely remove any accumulated gunk (dead skin, dirt, etc.) AND remove as much of the factory finish as possible (without resorting to sanding with actual sandpaper). The result is an a very clean, nearly-bare-wood feeling, but with still a minimal amount of the original factory finish present for protection.

I would do the same with your DK2 if it were mine.

I do not do this on set-neck and neckthru guitars that have glossy finishes on the backs of the necks... just unpainted bolt-neck guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            I'm not aware of Jackson using a high gloss finish on their bolt-on necks, just only on their painted neck-thru models.
            didn't the cow dinky have a black gloss neck back?

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post

didn't the cow dinky have a black gloss neck back?
              Yes, that is true, as well as the JJP. Most bolt-ons are natural wood with the satin finish.

Comment

In fairness, those were artist models. not standard models.

Comment

Working...
                X