Truss rod tool for strung headstock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truss rod tool for strung headstock

Hello! Not sure if this has been covered or not but has anyone discovered a “tool” for adjusting the truss rod on a Jackson that’s strung up? By this I mean with the strings mostly at pitch and in their appropriate nut slots? I have the old style acorn nut and using the supplied truss wrench is a “process” since the strings are in the way. I’ve seen the screwdriver type wrench like Stewmac sell but I don’t think it would work with the headstock/string angle. I realize I can just move the blocking strings aside but I’m trying to avoid that.

Thanks in advance!!

I simply slacken the strings that are obstructing my way, then adjust the truss rod, then bring those slackened strings back up to pitch. I've never needed to slide the strings out from their corresponding nut slots.

I think I've had to do this on every headstock every time I needed to adjust the truss rod, not just Jackson ones.

Comment

If it has a locking nut, feel free to clip the strings and throw them away. Once locked, they are unneeded.

Me, personally, I don't do anything unless the strings are actually in the way. Typically you can get in there and do what you need to do. You're only doing a 1/4 turn, the space between the strings is plenty.

Comment

Is there a need to adjust the truss rod on a regular basis? It seems like it's not that big of a deal to move the strings once in a while to adjust it. Like pianoguyy said, you should be able to get between the strings without having to totally de-tune the guitar though.
        “I don’t always play Metallica songs... But when I do, they are mine. I don’t care what you read on the best guitar lesson websites or in popular magazines, it’s all wrong." -Dave Mustaine

Comment

Originally posted by eighthnotetone View Post
          Is there a need to adjust the truss rod on a regular basis?

Yes, absolutely.
          But probably not for 99.9% of the musicians out there.
          If you've ever been a traveling musician, you'd understand why your tech (because I was too much of a prima donna to do it myself) was always tweaking your gear.

On the opposite end, I will go so far as to say, for most people, if you are in a properly regulated home, you will never need to adjust a truss rod (after the initial adjustment in your home) unless you change string gauge or tuning.

However, most people aren't in a properly regulated home. Nor do we put gear in our homes and never take it out.
          So, the occasional/regular tweak will be necessary.

In the summer, a hot humid smokey bar to a cool dry home.
          In the winter, a cold dry bar during load in that turns into a hot dry smokey bar during show time, into your car and back into your warm house.

There's an old saying, it goes something like this -
          Don't tune your guitar, adjust your truss rod.
          *which can also apply to tremolo springs.

Comment

Working...
          X