Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satin Finished Steam...

Hi JCF,

I have a new to me 2006 Jackson DK2M with a dent in the satin finished maple neck. First, do we know what type of finish this actually is (lacquer, poly, etc.)? Second, will I be able to steam this dent out of the neck or will it be ineffective? Finally, just of context, I have read that steaming dents will damage a lacquer finish. I have no idea if that is true or not.

Best,
    Mel

So, nobody knows what finish they actually used on these necks? I did go after it with my iron (and some damp cloths) and it didn't damage the finish in any way. Also, as expected, it didn't help at all with the dents. I'm going to sand down the neck, steam out the dents, and refinish. That's one reason I'd really like to know what they used on these necks.

Best,
    Mel

Comment

Unfortunately I cannot be absolutely certain what kind of finish is/was used on the back of Jackson bolt-necks, but given the ubiquity of using poly for the body, and using poly for the body and neck on neckthru Jacksons, it might not be unreasonable to assume poly is also used for finishing bolt-neck Jackson necks.

If you intend to strip the finish from the neck and refinish, I would recommend refinishing the neck using oil and wax, as per the following instructional video. I've done it on an Ibanez RG570 neck and it feels great. The supplies were not difficult to source, and the procedure itself was straightforward. I go more in-depth about my "review" of the procedure here: https://www.jcfonline.com/forum/equi...70-gray-nickel

Comment

Working...
      X