JRS-2 Tuning Stability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JRS-2 Tuning Stability

I have a Jackson JRS-2 with some tuning problems. While it is not by any means horrible, I'd like to improve the tuning stability, if possible. I think the problem comes from the uneven string pull combined with the lack of locking nut. The G string is the worst offender.

So far I blocked the trem, which helped a bit. I was wondering if it makes sense to replace the nut, install locking tuners or just keep it the way it is.

Thanks in advance

If you don't use the arm, blocking the bridge should help A LOT, in case the problem is still annoying, both the other things you wrote should further improve the situation....changing the nut with a new one is quite cheap, but before spending money for a locking tuners set, I'd be sure not to have neck stability problems.

Comment

From cheapest/easiest to most expensive:

1) Ensure you're stringing the guitar properly and securely at the saddles and at the tuning posts.

2) If you notice burrs in your nut slots, I've read that the smallest-gauge roundwound G-string can serve as a makeshift "file" to smooth your nut slots.

3) Lubricate the friction/contact points (nut slots and saddles). Examples:

-Apply ordinary pencil graphite to the nut slots.

-White lithium grease (https://www.amazon.ca/Permatex-80345.../dp/B000HBNV58)

-Big Bends Nut Sauce (https://www.google.ca/search?newwind...10.IXsM-th07-4)

4) If you notice burrs on your saddles, smooth them out or consider buying replacement saddles.

5) If you have nut files, use those to smooth any burrs in your nut slots.

6) Change the nut.

Comment

Create witness points on your strings when restringing too. The heavier your string gauge, the more important this becomes.

What causes the tuning instability? Bends? Tremolo use? Simply playing?

Comment

Just playing. I changed the string brand w/ higher tension and now the G-string stability greatly improved

Comment

Working...
          X