Takeuci JT-580 Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Takeuci JT-580 Replacement

G'day all, first-time poster from Australia here!

After a few years playing nothing but ESPs exclusively, I once again own a Jackson.

Last week I scored a 1992 MIJ Jackson Professional Fusion SX for $125 (about $86 USD), and whilst it's a great playing guitar, it has certainly seen better days.

One of the areas in dire need of attention is the vibrato system, which is the stock Takeuchi JT-580.

The vibrato has some surface rust, and is missing the arm, so instead of spending almost half what I paid for the guitar on a new arm and still have the bridge not look 100% due to the rust, I thought I may as well replace it with something better for not much more money.

At this stage, I'm fairly set on the Gotoh GE1996T, which is a Japanese made direct replacement for the haggard JT-580 currently installed, but would be interested to see what else the users of this forum would recommend in the $200 price range (around $140 USD).

I'm happy to hear all suggestions and will take them into consideration!

Welcome!

For that kinda cash, you can't really go wrong!

I have a 1991 MIJ Fusion Plus (my first Jackson) which I replaced the JT-580 on. It's been so long now that I can't really remember what was wrong with the original bridge. I had the trem replaced with a Schaller by the store from where I bought the guitar. While it fits and works absolutely fine, it could look better. I actually have a GE1996T that I could do a test fit with, just have to find the time for it (I found out that kids didn't really add to your free time ).

I know that between an OFR and a Schaller, you could run into intonation problems due to the saddles on the Schaller being slightly closer to the nut than on an OFR. I don't know how the Schaller compares to the JT-580 in that respect. I haven't experienced any intonation issues on my guitar, but I've never tuned it lower than E flat or used heavier gauge strings on it.

I'd like to try the Schaller Lockmeister. A little bit more expensive than the Gotoh, but probably as similar to an OFR as you'll get without having the words "Floyd Rose" on there.

Post some pics of it when you've done the swap.
    https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

Depending on how badly rusted your bridge is, it may salvageable, which could save you from spending money on a replacement bridge. Disassemble the bridge and use a toothbrush and 3-IN-ONE Multi-Purpose Oil directly brushing the oil onto the rusty hardware and watch the rust melt away. No pre-soaking necessary. After cleaning, use a towel to remove excess oil from the parts, and then reassemble your bridge.

https://www.3inone.com/products/multi-purpose-oil/

Comment

Thanks for the advice y'all, it's much appreciated!

Comment

I took some stuff out and tried to get decent (not great, I'm not a great photographer) photos. It was interesting, because I realized that having the Schaller in there didn't look all that bad, compared to the Gotoh or the OFR... They actually don't fit well at all. Both of them hit the lower corner in the front of the route. I tried a JT580LP in there, and (to me) it looks the best of them (except it doesn't really fill the rear area of the route).

Comment

I had a JT-580 on my Kelly. I replaced it with the German made Schaller bridge. No problems. Intonation is good. Direct replacement for me. The Schaller bridge is thicker than the OFR bridge which looks like a potato chip when comparing the thickness.
            [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

Originally posted by Anders View Post
              I took some stuff out and tried to get decent (not great, I'm not a great photographer) photos. It was interesting, because I realized that having the Schaller in there didn't look all that bad, compared to the Gotoh or the OFR... They actually don't fit well at all. Both of them hit the lower corner in the front of the route. I tried a JT580LP in there, and (to me) it looks the best of them (except it doesn't really fill the rear area of the route).

Wow! Thanks for going to all that effort, Anders!

Looking at the route on my Fusion SX, it appears it should take a Gotoh GE1996T or similar, in addition to the Schaller you've shown.

(Please pardon the dust and strings, I haven't had a chance to service the guitar as I've been in hospital)

Comment

No problem, it was actually pretty quick once I got the stuff out.

If you have the possibility, try a GE1996T before you buy it. Or buy it somewhere with a good return policy, so you can do a test fit. It does fit the route on my guitar more or less, but it actually hits the wood in the spot where the finish has chipped.

I like the blue finish!

Comment

To "thatgetupkid", I have a Gotoh trem you can test fit in your guitar. I'm also in Australia, send me a message and if you're nearby, come and test fit it.

And from your photo, I think your trem will clean up ok.
                  A Charvel CX592, Jackson JS20 and a Jackson DK2, amongst others....

Comment

Working...
                  X