Poll - Which Tremol-no do you prefer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll - Which Tremol-no do you prefer?

I recently shared my experiences here, in another thread, about swapping my Model 4's old JT-6 out for an OFR, including a FR Fat Brass sustain block. The next step is to install a Tremol-no. It's 12.9mm thickness requires the large clamp version, but I'm also under the impression that the pin-type would work, as well. So, which do you prefer, and why?

BTW, sorry in advance if this has already been discussed.
    clamp-type
    16.67%
    pin-type
    16.67%
    tremol-nos are crap
    66.67%
    Last edited by veeshawn; 09-08-2019, 05:22 AM. Reason: because they may be crap...

c) neither because tremol-nos are crap

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
      c) neither because tremol-nos are crap
      I can respect your preference, but why?

Comment

I don't have any personal experience with the Tremol-No, but their website (https://www.tremol-no.com/products.asp) near the bottom says:

Still not sure? Text us a picture of your tremolo block and we will let you know which model is right for your guitar!
        Perhaps contact the company directly to hear a recommendation straight from them.

According to https://www.tremol-no.com/wheretobuy.asp they deal their products thru AllParts. Maybe arrange for your local AllParts dealer to order you both versions and be able to return, free of charge, the one you don't end up using. Or perhaps arrange for a free return if the first one they recommended doesn't actually work on your guitar (and then you buy the second one which hopefully fits).

Comment

Originally posted by veeshawn View Post

I can respect your preference, but why?
          it's poorly engineered. it uses clamping force on the shaft from small thumb-driven set screws in order to set the position of the bridge. this force is disengaged way too easily which will prevent the unit from doing its job. I had one come on a second hand wrmg, and I quickly realized its fragility, even after carefully reading all the directions and guidance from the manufacturer. it didn't take long for me to remove the unit and replace it with a semi-permanent block for dive-only operation.

why do you want to install a tremol-no, anyway? do you have a use case for switching the bridge between fully-floating and fully-blocked on the same guitar, on-the-fly?

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post

it's poorly engineered. it uses clamping force on the shaft from small thumb-driven set screws in order to set the position of the bridge. this force is disengaged way too easily which will prevent the unit from doing its job. I had one come on a second hand wrmg, and I quickly realized its fragility, even after carefully reading all the directions and guidance from the manufacturer. it didn't take long for me to remove the unit and replace it with a semi-permanent block for dive-only operation.

why do you want to install a tremol-no, anyway? do you have a use case for switching the bridge between fully-floating and fully-blocked on the same guitar, on-the-fly?
            Not necessarily "on the fly", but I would like the ability to drop D, without modifying the guitar any further. I realize there are other options.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
              I don't have any personal experience with the Tremol-No, but their website (https://www.tremol-no.com/products.asp) near the bottom says:

Perhaps contact the company directly to hear a recommendation straight from them.

According to https://www.tremol-no.com/wheretobuy.asp they deal their products thru AllParts. Maybe arrange for your local AllParts dealer to order you both versions and be able to return, free of charge, the one you don't end up using. Or perhaps arrange for a free return if the first one they recommended doesn't actually work on your guitar (and then you buy the second one which hopefully fits).
              Thanks!!

Comment

My favorite no-tremol is called a Les Paul.
                I just can't imagine having a tremolo that I don't use.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                  My favorite no-tremol is called a Les Paul.
                  I just can't imagine having a tremolo that I don't use.
                  I would still use it, it's just not floating.

Comment

If you are looking for dive only there are better (and cheaper) options. If you want to be able to flip between floating, dive only, and hard tail tremol-no would be an option. You have to spend the time aligning the cam of the Termol-no or it will kill your flutter. Went through that with a Charvel GG I own. PITA!

Comment

Originally posted by CaptNasty View Post
                      If you are looking for dive only there are better (and cheaper) options. If you want to be able to flip between floating, dive only, and hard tail tremol-no would be an option. You have to spend the time aligning the cam of the Termol-no or it will kill your flutter. Went through that with a Charvel GG I own. PITA!
                      Thank you! So, did you keep the unit on your GG?

BTW, all those options are why I was considering the Tremol-no, in the first place. I mainly want to go between standard and drop-d, with floating as an option, without drilling extra holes.
                      Last edited by veeshawn; 09-10-2019, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by veeshawn View Post

Thank you! So, did you keep the unit on your GG?

BTW, all those options are why I was considering the Tremol-no, in the first place. I mainly want to go between standard and drop-d, with floating as an option, without drilling extra holes.
                        Yes, the tremol-no is still on the GG. It is stock on the GG and it has a tremolo cavity cover that allows you operate the tremol-no without having to remove the cavity cover.

With the tremol-no you will have to replace the existing claw with the claw the tremol-no is attached to. Then you attach the cam to the sustain block. Once the tremol-no is installed, you have to align it.

Comment

Before I installed a trem no, I would buy another guitar for drop tuning. of coarse I have close to 100 guitars so changing tuning for me is, grab the guitar tuned for that.

Honestly, get together with the band and put drop tuned songs in a set together and switch guitars during a break, it will look way better then pining a bridge and tuning in between songs.

Comment

I have one installed in a Charvel. If I remember correctly; it was the pin type. I put it on and locked it down so it would act like a fixed bridge in order to try out a dtuna. In my experience the dtuna is a bigger pain in the ass than the tremol-no. You do have to change out the claw which means you will have to level the Floyd and that is grim. I put my backplate back on and have had no issues. You will need a back plate cut for it if you want to use the tremol-no between different modes.....or leave it off ;-) Maybe I am doing something wrong with the dtuna….always learning.

Wish I had about 5 more Tremol-No systems for other Floyds.....they are a bit pricey but they work like they are supposed to.
                            Last edited by hazar; 09-14-2019, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by paranoid View Post

Honestly, get together with the band and put drop tuned songs in a set together and switch guitars during a break, it will look way better then pining a bridge and tuning in between songs.

OMG
                              I can't believe how many bands I have seen doing the tuning/detuning/retuning thing on stage in the middle of a set.

And then people wonder why they get paid "pizza and exposure", are playing in front of empty rooms,and the few who do attend are more concerned with their phones.

Comment

Working...
                              X