Floyd Rose bridges on import guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose bridges on import guitars

This may be the wrong forum area for this, please feel free to move if it is.

So I have my MIJ DK2 which I love, as well as my model series, and other Jacksons all of which have Jackson branded floyds. The new SL4X I believe has some version of a real Floyd.

So my question is this, is it worth it and the $ to put a brass block + whatever titanium parts I can afford onto these, or is it really going to make a difference? I know the Brass block is supposed to add a lot, but what about (as I'm seen now on some guitars) changing out parts like the screws with titanium, is that really going to make a difference beyond weight? And not much of a difference there. Those seem strictly cosmetic but I don't know (which is why I ask )

I have my eyes on another Jackson, and I think it would look sharp with the change, but not sure it would actually add anything to the guitar (except time and $ with little return in sound)
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

I don't know about the brass block, but the Jackson trem I have is said to be a Floyd special, which has a lot softer metal. I stripped out a saddle very easily I might add in the middle of a show. I would think that using harder metal hardware like titanium would just wear the softer metal even faster.

Comment

I have the brass block in my DK2M and it's great. All my floyd guitars have brass blocks but I have never seen a reason for the titanium parts. The cost for them is outrageous and since my guitars aren't more than glorified stay at home guitars I can't justify the expense.

Comment

I just dont get the whole Ti thing,,, We go thru great lengths to put bug brass blocks on to add mass, then use Ti saddles?? Ti is strong by weight, but we are trying to add mass, not subtract mass.... Yeah Ti has wonderfull thermal properties, which are only applied to huitar if you are alternate picking at 7,352.986 BPM.... And it also has good corrosion resistance if your soloing in the rain forest, But there are other more dense hard metals.. The only real benefit I see to Ti parts is the golly gee whiz, Im so cool I have titainium guitar parts factor....
        A few Charvels, a bunch of Jacksons, JVM full stack, valve king half stack and an 4000 watt PA for a home stereo, my neighbors love me....

Comment

Originally posted by phragle View Post
          I just dont get the whole Ti thing,,, We go thru great lengths to put bug brass blocks on to add mass, then use Ti saddles?? Ti is strong by weight, but we are trying to add mass, not subtract mass.... Yeah Ti has wonderfull thermal properties, which are only applied to huitar if you are alternate picking at 7,352.986 BPM.... And it also has good corrosion resistance if your soloing in the rain forest, But there are other more dense hard metals.. The only real benefit I see to Ti parts is the golly gee whiz, Im so cool I have titainium guitar parts factor....
          All of these components play there part in changing your tone. I guess its just whatever your after... I like experimenting with all the different metals, I have a pretty decent collection of sustain blocks, claws, saddles, saddle screws, string lock blocks and the hollow points intonation system.

I own a couple Floyd Specials that I have modified with better parts as well as a couple German OFR and two 1000 series one of which is a limited edition burnt chrome the other came factory on a guitar I purchased. In my experience you can't go wrong with any of those Floyd Rose models.

The Titanium string lock blocks offer more strength than the regular steel ones...as to how much they effect the tone... couldn't tell you because I have so many other components attached to it , it'd be hard to pin point exactly what part they are responsible for ... I will say swapping the sustain blocks and saddles do have an immediate noticeable change in tone once installed but how much is the block or saddles responsible for I can not truly say.

The string saver saddles by Graph Tech are pretty cool... loaded those on one of those Floyd Specials with a Stone Tone sustain block, a set of Hollow Points and stainless steel saddle screws for that hot rod look I like the results all those components gave me.

I'm looking forward to the release of those new solid color Floyd Rose models.
          \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
            This may be the wrong forum area for this, please feel free to move if it is.

So I have my MIJ DK2 which I love, as well as my model series, and other Jacksons all of which have Jackson branded floyds. The new SL4X I believe has some version of a real Floyd.

So my question is this, is it worth it and the $ to put a brass block + whatever titanium parts I can afford onto these, or is it really going to make a difference? I know the Brass block is supposed to add a lot, but what about (as I'm seen now on some guitars) changing out parts like the screws with titanium, is that really going to make a difference beyond weight? And not much of a difference there. Those seem strictly cosmetic but I don't know (which is why I ask )

I have my eyes on another Jackson, and I think it would look sharp with the change, but not sure it would actually add anything to the guitar (except time and $ with little return in sound)
            Man, I say go for it... it's really not that expensive... good luck getting the Ti parts they pretty much stay out of stock except the string lock blocks.. which will add strength. Big Fat Brass is fun as are the Stone Tone blocks... Brass is going to be much cheaper... I put 37 MM on everything... some guitars require a lil dremel action to accommodate that much block... to me worth it.
            \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

Before investing money into something like this, have you watched videos on Youtube where guitarists do "before and after" tone comparisons? I haven't checked, but there must be videos of people recording their guitars before swapping trem parts and then after installing the new parts.

Personally, in the 2000s I installed a FloydUpgrades (I believe they are now called FU Tone) big brass sustain block on my Shannon Soloist, and I couldn't tell a difference in tone or sustain from the increased mass.

Comment

I will say this. I have 3 models series charvels from the 80's all have the JT-6 bridge and I put brass blocks on them and I was happy with them until about 3 weeks ago when I bought my first USA charvel which has a genuine Floyd on it and i can say that the build quality between the licensed floyd and the real thing is no comparison. IMO if you are putting money into anything it should be to put a genuine FR on it.

Comment

I have a Jackson DK2QM Pro and I could tell a huge difference, especially in harmonics and overall punch in my guitar tone just from installing a 32mm "L" block. It is one of the most radical things you can do for tone on a Floyd IMO. I also installed the titanium saddle lock blocks, which changed the tone a little, but very minute. I mainly just got them because they should last better than the steel blocks, and so far no problems at all.

Comment

There are a few basic physic fundamentals

-Something that's hard will transmit vibration better than something that's soft
                    -Something that is heavy will vibrate longer than something that's light -corollary: you also need to put in more energy to make it move [the same distance]
                    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Before starting to upgrade those Floyds I would recommend taking a look at the Gotoh 1996t Floyd.
                      They are cheaper than OFR and I think equal or better quality wise nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by Jr_vw2 View Post
                        I will say this. I have 3 models series charvels from the 80's all have the JT-6 bridge and I put brass blocks on them and I was happy with them until about 3 weeks ago when I bought my first USA charvel which has a genuine Floyd on it and i can say that the build quality between the licensed floyd and the real thing is no comparison. IMO if you are putting money into anything it should be to put a genuine FR on it.
                        True story.

Comment

Working...
                        X