WD40 safe for fretboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WD40 safe for fretboard?

In a pinch I used WD40 to keep my strings slick for an outdoor gig this past weekend and it worked great (in warm conditions my strings get sweaty and sticky real fast). My question is how safe is this? The guitar seems no worse for wear, but what if I were to make this a habit? I've not found anything yet that works nearly as well. It's a gorgeous dark brown rosewood board so I'd really hate anything bad to happen to it. But damn if that didn't work well....

no wd40 is a drying agent and degreaser solvent. it will dry out the board and loosen the glue holdibg in the frets. so no nor a good idea for fingerboards. get some fast fret instead if u need a wipe on string lube to get thru a gig.

Comment

Thanks, yeah I had intended to pick up fast fret but the music store I stopped by on the way to the gig didn't stock it, so I had to improvise! I've used Fret Ease in the past but honestly that stuff just doesn't work, it gums thing up even worse after a couple songs.

Comment

I don't usually burst into audible laughter but when I saw this thread title.............oh my lordy Sorry dude, I don't mean to be a dick, it just cracked me up for some reason.

Fast Frets is good shit for sure

Comment

ha ha... reminds me of the time I got out a can of `pure and simple` for a beater acoustic I came across at a drug party I was at once... funny shit for sure but as said above, use the proper stuff on a decent guitar! lolz

Comment

LOL, hey it did the job. Don't worry folks the guitar is fine (and yes it is a nice 80s San Dimas USA Jackson).

Comment

Real bad idea. WD40 will damage the glue that bonds the fret board to the neck and the fret board inlays and may damage the fret board inlays as well. WD40 is hell on wood.

Comment

Yeah, give WD-40 a miss. Never tried Fast Fret (insanely expensive here) but I highly recommend Inox for strings (and all hardware for that matter). It's food grade aproved and doesnt dehydrate.

While I wouldn't suggest wiping down the timber parts on the guitar with it, its applied liberally on firearms and haven't noticed any adverse effects on stocks.

Some KwikFret Lemon oil with every string change is a good habbit.

Comment

Working...
                X