Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charvel Model 6 - Locking nut plate missing ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I allways remove those nuts, re route the necks and fit a OFR nut.

Comment

rampantlion, i think i have a couple in my spare parts container. if i do you can have one. pm me.

Comment

just checked. found two but they are locknut plates for jt-6 bridge charvel locking nut. sorry. don't think they'll fit. they measure approx 8mm x 12mm:

you can measure yours and see if it's the same. if it is, you can have one.

have you tried frets on the net? they usually have stuff like this. the dude there can also make them for you, if he doesn't have any in stock.

Comment

First,check under your truss rod cover (if you have one on there),the middle one is the only one that CAN come up missing without taking the whole thing off and turning it over,but that is only if it was installed without the plastic shim it usually came with.

Budman probably has them,but if you want one faster and don't mind spending a few bucks,they are SIMPLE to make if you have any mechanical skills,or know anyone that works in a fabrication/metalworking shop,or even in a hardware store.

I don't know the size off the top of my head,but think it's a Metric screw,so take one of the ones you have and go to a Lowe's or whatever you have local and match it up with one of those "bolt-checker" displays.

It may happen like this too. I needed a square 10-32 nut for something totally unrelated,and planned on just buying the tap and making one. I found out once I got there that in certain cases,they sell pre-made square nuts.

You could modify one of those and make it work too. Tommy D.
          "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Originally posted by TommyD View Post
            First,check under your truss rod cover (if you have one on there),the middle one is the only one that CAN come up missing without taking the whole thing off and turning it over,but that is only if it was installed without the plastic shim it usually came with.
            This! If it's the middle one, check the truss rod cavity. That's where mine was. The previous owner made a replacement block, but it was too small.
            When I took everything apart to set up, I couldn't access the truss rod nut. After close inspection, I noticed the original block to be jammed between the truss rod and the wood around it. Had to pull it out with a pair of tweezers.

Comment

It's the plate for the low e and A string. It's definitely missing. I shine a light in and there's nothing there. The middle and high e / b plates are there. I emailed wammiworld and bought what they said would fit.

I'm also looking for the whammy bar for the Jt-6. The seller said he's "looking for it," but I doubt I will hear back from him.

Comment

Just get a pop-in Ibanez bar, it'll fit.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I've heard people say to use the Ibanez bar. But I have never owned one that works.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                    JT6 isn't a Kahler.

And I can't speak for Lion, but I like the giant screws on the JT6.
                    In fact, I really hate all hex screws. I have pitiful luck with them.
                    I also prefer the nut before the lock.
                    Not a fan of the (behind the nut) string lock myself. Have had a couple set ups line that, my XV500 has one but, my Model 6 (w/ JT-6) has a Kahler locking nut (not a string lock) like this only all black. No hex heads, need to use a quarter or something to loosen/tighten.

Any way you could possibly put more shit into your sig?

Comment

I have a couple Kahler trems with nuts like that. I liked the flip-top ones better, but they were real nasty to tune when you first lock it down.

Comment

Originally posted by artonsafari View Post
                        Not a fan of the (behind the nut) string lock myself. Have had a couple set ups line that, my XV500 has one but, my Model 6 (w/ JT-6) has a Kahler locking nut (not a string lock) like this only all black. No hex heads, need to use a quarter or something to loosen/tighten.

I had that nut on a strat I bought in 91-92 with a Kahler Floyd. Mine had smaller nuts that stripped out within a couple of string changes. Those nuts look beefier but I still prefer a Floyd Nut
                        -------------------------
                        Blank yo!

Comment

the 2le21b Ibanez bar works good, but most are black and the original jt bars were chrome. you can change the insert and all though to a floyd bar with very little effort!

Comment

Working...
                          X