Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seymour Duncan and & Di Marzio love affair possibly, room for each other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan and & Di Marzio love affair possibly, room for each other?

Hi,

I've bought a 2004 DK2 body and decided to kit out with new pickups. Its a HSS routed body. Talk me into or or out of:

2 x Seymour Duncan Quarter pounder
    1 x Di Marzio Tone Zone HB

I don't think I'm gonna bother with tapping them. 500k pots....err.. Any suggestions for caps? Any equivalent Di Marzios you'd recommend over quarter pounders?

Anyone wanna chime in a yay or nay or whynot consider?

I'm listening,

Thanks in advance.

Isn't the Dimarzio SDS roughly similar to a quarter pounder? Big high output single coil to keep up with a Humbucker. No problems with mixing and matching in my book

The only HSS I have is my Adrian Smith and it's got a Super Distortion in the bridge with two fender hot samarian cobalt noiseless single coils. Those things sound great
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

I'll check out the SDS and have a listen to your choice. I've been listening for the last week online and the configuration im looking at will definitely have the Tone Zone. The middle and neck are up for question. I don't like the STK1s in my DK2 only gel on the 2nd setting with tone down. I just can't live with the next three tones going to the neck...

Thanks again

Comment

I would run the singles through a 250k pot if at all possible. You loose some chime by running all of that through 500k pots and you will notice it. If you don't play anything clean then don't pay a bit of attention to what I just said. Good luck and the pups you mentioned are good choices.
        I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Lately I found out I prefer 250-300k pots for all pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by tomanyjacksons View Post
            I would run the singles through a 250k pot if at all possible. You loose some chime by running all of that through 500k pots and you will notice it. If you don't play anything clean then don't pay a bit of attention to what I just said. Good luck and the pups you mentioned are good choices.
            Thanks. Yeah, I've read that 250s can be darker? 300s get good press on here I think or MLP, can't remember.
            I will use this Jackson clean, that said I do have choice P90s and PAF LPs and my Teles (2 single coils) for recording. I may dabble with some 250 & 300k and make some recordings.
            Thanks for the thumbs up on the pup choice, not many, one I found on YouTube for the quarter pounders. They appealed to me straight away.

I may as well ask now, I've not looked but will; any recommended wiring most use on Jacksons I should be aware of?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
              Lately I found out I prefer 250-300k pots for all pickups.
              I'll look into them, value your opinion. What pickups are you using and what style do you regularly play?

Thanks

Comment

Might also want to consider the Dimarzio VV Heavy Blues 2, for the SCs. I love those things.

Comment

Yes. . Heavy Blues are great sounding pickips
                  -------------------------
                  Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                    Might also want to consider the Dimarzio VV Heavy Blues 2, for the SCs. I love those things.
                    I'll consider them including the VV too. If not for this guitar perhaps a partscaster also in the making after this one. I do like that raw sound. Thanks!

Comment

I'm after some guidance now I've got 2 x Seymour Duncan quarter pounds and a Di Marzio Tone Zone.

The doner body has a 5 switch selector already wired and ground in the relevant places. There is no single coil pull / push on the tone pot. I can live with that. Input is wired too.

I'm not new to soldering but new to wiring to the correct places. I've read the diagrams but not sure I'm making sense. The easy part was just unsolder the blue Eerie Swirl and replenish the doner body. Until I decided to put different pick ups in.. It'll be my DK2 keeper once done and dusted.

I'm after a HB, single, single regular combination. Out of phase is okay but not a must.

Please see a PIC of the cavity and existing wiring I have to work to:

[IMG][/IMG]

The SD Quarter pounds have two wires, white and black. White to the five way selector, if so which part of the selector for each neck and middle? Black to volume, blob of solder on top where previous blob can be seen at quarter past three for both neck and middle?

Di Marzio has red (hot), black, white, green and bare to ground in the instructions. The pickup diagram indicates this zebra pickup as: north (creme) red/black and south, black pickup is green/white. Where would these go on the photo above?

I'll sound thick but does the north (creme bobbin) face the nearest to the middle pickup and the south (black bobbin) sit nearest to the Floyd bridge?

Is this 2004 DK2 wiring standard or is it a upgrade? It would've had Duncan Designed pickups. They're 500k pots.

Any help welcome, at your mercy!!

Cheers

Cheers

Comment

another pic

Comment

I managed to figure out the wiring, it was quite a simple process once you properly read the instructions. Once wires were soldered to ground left the option of the last wire to attach to the 5 way toggle switch for each pick up.

Comment

I play lots of styles, I have a variety of guitars and pickups. I always found my BCR super strats sounds fuller, thicker and not as bright as my C/J's even tho they were very similar guitars, it's was the pot values that made the difference. C/J's all had 500k the BCRs 250k. I do play thru very bright cabs tho (all EVM 12L loaded) and the 250/300k tame the shrill

Comment

I use all 250K pots in my guitars, humbucker or single coil. I prefer darker tones, and I also use EVM12L speakers in my cabs, except my Marshall cab which has the g12T-75s. 250K makes for a smoother sounding guitar to me...
                              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X