Pickup help, please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup help, please...

Hi, I acquired two bridge pickups: (1) a J-50BC and (2) a J-80C for my 1992 Jackson Soloist (please see attached picture below).

1. First question: Is the second one (the lower one in the image) a Japanese made or an American made pickup?

2. Second question: Which one of these (the J50bc or the J80c)--both will be used with the JE-1200 mid boost--would be better for 80s metal in the style of Megadeth, Randy Rhoads/Jake E. Lee Ozzy stuff, etc.

Thanks,
    HG

The J80C should be an import. I have several Import pups out of Model series guitars that use the exact same stickers...I has a 475 Dlx Exotic with the J50BC and it used the boost. Sounded amazing! I read somewhere that the J80C is hotter though and might be better for Metal.
    "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
    ENGL Powerball II
    Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
    Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
    Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
    1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
    1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
    2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
    2011 Jackson DK2M Black
    1987 Charvel Model 2 White
    2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
    1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
    1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
    2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
    2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
    2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
    2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
    2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
    2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
    2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
    1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

Thanks. Does anyone know if the J80c is naturally more dark (less high frequencies) than the J50BC?

Comment

Also what about using a J90C pickup with a JE-1200 mid boost... would that overkill? Has anyone done it and liked it? thanks....

Comment

Originally posted by higain_guitar View Post
          Also what about using a J90C pickup with a JE-1200 mid boost... would that overkill? Has anyone done it and liked it? thanks....

I think the J90c was made for the JE1200. Its like chocolate and peanut butter. Each perfect on their own, but put them together perfect becomes existential ---

I will point this out though...
          I loved it on my old rig. It is not impressive on my new stuff.
          I used the same amp/fx for 20+ years. And I loved it for all that time. But a year ago, I finally replaced it all with some modern gear --- the circuitry is useless.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post

I will point this out though...
            I loved it on my old rig. It is not impressive on my new stuff.
            I used the same amp/fx for 20+ years. And I loved it for all that time. But a year ago, I finally replaced it all with some modern gear --- the circuitry is useless.
            Thanks, but so you mean the modern gear circuitry is useless or is the old jackson circuitry useless with the new amps?

Comment

I love my new setup, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten it and certainly wouldn't be keeping it if I did get it.

I meant option 2
              With my new gear, I see no difference when using the midboost at 10 vs the midboost at 0. Well, almost no difference.
              It could be the way I have the new stuff set. It could be the input impedance of the new stuff. I don't know why it is how it is, it just is how it is.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                I love my new setup, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten it and certainly wouldn't be keeping it if I did get it.

I meant option 2
                With my new gear, I see no difference when using the midboost at 10 vs the midboost at 0. Well, almost no difference.
                May I ask what your new setup is. I am using an orange dark terror with vintage tubes into an orange ppc 1x12 cab with celestion v30s...

Comment

I now have a fx/modeler unit. And I go straight to the pa.

Comment

The J80 is definitely a hotter PU than the J50. Not sure about tone shaping for these two, relative to each other. There were USA made J80s, too, but agree your's looks like an import.

Comment

The J80 is a distortion class pick up the J50 is not.The J50 is a medium output pick up like a PAF Gibson.
                      The J80 is like a Duncan Distortion,
                      The amp is where you get your drive so the pick up really doesn't matter.
                      I can get thrashy metal tones out of a P90 single coil pick up just by EQing the amp.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

The "C" stands for ceramic magnet.
                        The J50's with no "C" on the label are Alnico magnets.
                        Ceramic generally will be a hotter pick up
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

thanks, I have heard that import pickups are a little louder then USA made Jackson pickups. Have you found this to be true?

Comment

Working...
                          X