Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save my JT-6

So...

Pick up a Model 4 back in 2006 for £80, was a bit of a fixer, but it was love at first play.
    I've been playing with the JT-6 blocked for the last 3 years as the knife edges had started to blunt and I wasn't really using it, had to jury rig a fine tuner among other things, but have been toying with the idea of either replacing the JT-6 with a FRO or, preferably, fixing up the original one, even more. I know it's on its last legs but it has sentimental value :P

The knife edges are now not only blunt but have started to develop uneven wear (see bad pics if you can) and is pretty much, almost, useless for trem use. Has anyone got any ideas/tips on how to get her fixed up or am I just better off replacing her all together?

Would it be possible to replace or refurbish the knife edges at all? Or, alternatively, does anyone know where I could get myself a JT-6 in the UK? e-bay is a bust :/

Any comments, advice, tips etc would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

-Brian

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Stringed things:
    Charvel Model 4
    Charvel NOS Star
    Gibson SG Special

That left side edge is pretty bad the right looks OK . You can file the edges but the left one is a bit too worn looking.
    There are plenty of complete JT-6's on ebay sometimes buy one of those.
    The allen screws heads on the saddle string block screws get worn and you can slot them and use a flat blade screw driver to tighten them.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Dave (fretsonthenet.com) sells replacement string lock screws..
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Those hardened inserts aren't really replaceable, there's sort of a misconception that they are.

Comment

Last edited by vklobucar; 06-22-2014, 06:38 PM.

Comment

They cannot be sharpened and saved!
            Last edited by vklobucar; 06-22-2014, 06:38 PM.

Comment

I cannot for the life of me understand the love for those old JT-6 tremolo's. This was Jackson's lame attempt at a Floyd given that Kramer at the time held the rights to OFR's and as such Jackson was forced to design their own version.

On paper I will CERTAINLY agree that it had the potential to be very good but thats where it ends!

In regards to actual manufacturing it was nothing short of crap with very cheap pot metal used throughout. Had these been made with the same quality hardened steel as the OFR's , then it might have stood the test of time better.

In short they are crap tone robbers! Install a Schaller or even better yet an OFR and tell me that your tone and sustain is not miles better!

And for all those faithful lovers of the JT-6, if you still love them and are willing to buy those overpriced bits and pieces from ebay to salvage your units, hats off to you for your determination! We are all entitled to our tastes and opinions. Some however leave me scratching my head sometimes...

"Hello Jackson Custom Shop? I'd like to order a custom SL2H and please install a JT-6 on it"

Click......hello? hello?

Comment

An OFR is a drop in replacement but remember the JT6 is regular spaced at the saddles if you put an OFR on the two E strings will be closer to the edge of the finger board due to the wider string spacing.
                JT-6's are good trems I don't mind them and I do like the design.
                Could they have been made of better parts? Sure but none of mine have ever had a problem.

Oh and yes you can file them to get the worn edges smooth again just remember to round over and polish the trailing edges.
                The edge itself doesn't have to be razor sharp
                Last edited by straycat; 06-22-2014, 10:39 PM.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                  An OFR is a drop in replacement but remember the JT6 is regular spaced at the saddles if you put an OFR on the two E strings will be closer to the edge of the finger board due to the wider string spacing.
                  +1...on most necks it's fine but occasionally one ends up a bit tight as far as fret margin goes. I think it's a function of the fretwork more than anything but some boards are a bit narrower as well. I used to be cavalier about converting to OFR's but I rock the JT6's more and more these days. Also some trem routes have to be modified to provide clearance for the OFR arm coupler. You'll run into that one about half the time.

Comment

Working...
                  X