Tone diference between using tone knobs or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone diference between using tone knobs or not

Hey guys. I would like to know if a pickup configuration with only one volume knob, and no tone knobs, has the same tone as the same config, and hardware, but with a tone knob, rolled to the max(with more highs, I think). Any input on this would be great. Thanks in advance.

No, they're not the same. A tone control, even at 10, will give you a slightly darker sound that no tone control at all. One way around this is to use a no-load tone pot which removes the tone control from the circuit when it's on 10.

Comment

Awesome! Thanks Matt_B.

Comment

9/10 times there is no discernible difference but occasionally a guitar will get a little bright/shrill with the tone knob removed.

Comment

I am ok with it, I prefer a bright tone.

Comment

Also depends on the value of the pot and capacitor. A 1Meg tone pot will be almost like not having one when on 10/full, with the capacitor giving all the rolloff. This could be both good and bad, as the cap's value is typically selected with the pot's value in mind. One benefit of this arrangement is that you can see (hear) which cap value works best for you.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I have a guitar wired with a "tone kill" switch. The switch cuts the tone pot in and out of the circuit. It is a useless switch and there is no audible difference to my ears.

That said - I don't like tone knobs in general and prefer guitars with just volume controls.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

It depends on the guitar, pickups, and pot values. I've heard it range from slight to quite significant.

Comment

I'd say it's mostly shows the quality of the pot if there is a discernable difference when it's disconnected
                  nothing more, nothing less
                  "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                    I'd say it's mostly shows the quality of the pot if there is a discernable difference when it's disconnected
                    nothing more, nothing less
                    Not really. Probably most important is the value of the tone pot. If it is 1meg, then the difference will be minimal. With lower values like 250K or even 100K, the difference is much more noticeable. Also, it depends on how bright or dark the guitar and pickups are....that will affect how audible the change is.

Comment

I think maybe the most important part to this conversation is WHY have the tone pot at all?? Does anyone actually ever dial back the tone? I'm a bit surprise more manufactures haven't just done away with them all together. Guitars look better, cleaner without them and they would be a bit cheaper to make. I doubt many player are going to say " I'm not buying that guitar because it doesn't have a tone"....just my 2 cents...I'm sure there are those that use the tone.....somewhere...
                      -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Originally posted by dvscool View Post
                        I think maybe the most important part to this conversation is WHY have the tone pot at all?? Does anyone actually ever dial back the tone? I'm a bit surprise more manufactures haven't just done away with them all together. Guitars look better, cleaner without them and they would be a bit cheaper to make. I doubt many player are going to say " I'm not buying that guitar because it doesn't have a tone"....just my 2 cents...I'm sure there are those that use the tone.....somewhere...
                        There are still some people that use the tone control or manufacturers wouldn't still be putting them in guitars. I use them on my LP, my Tele and my Strat but all my other guitars (Charvels, Ibanezes and a Learn) don't have tone controls and I don't miss 'em.

Comment

Exactly. My main M5 has the tone control converted to other use...not tone control. Tone comes first from the hands & then the amp for me anyway. Even on my cheap strat copy, I removed a tone knob and put the volume pot there. In the stock position, the volume knob gets in the way of my picking, and before I know it, the level has gone down some.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
                            There are still some people that use the tone control or manufacturers wouldn't still be putting them in guitars. I use them on my LP, my Tele and my Strat but all my other guitars (Charvels, Ibanezes and a Learn) don't have tone controls and I don't miss 'em.
                            Agreed. There are some people. But I would bet money not very many. And if the major manufacturers took the time to actually understand who they are building for, they too, would figure that out. I'd like to see a survey......The cool thing is, If I'm wrong....meh......
                            -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Does anyone actually ever dial back the tone?
                              Obituary.

Comment

Working...
                              X