Whats the best way to polish an old guitar the looks like garbage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the best way to polish an old guitar the looks like garbage

I have a Rhoads pro pro that has not been well taken care of and needs a good cleaning. What is the best way to polish the finish so it looks nice and shiney?

I couldn't believe it, but youtube did not have a million videos. A simple search here didn't get me much closer.

Thanks

Well i have a roads pro pro pro n i like to spray the polish on n then wipe
    USA Jackson RR1
    Charvel Model 6
    Jackson Performer-2
    Orange Dark Terror
    EVH 5150 LBX
    Hello Senòr

Comment

Use virtuoso cleaner to cut through the grime. Then The music Nomad one polish. I use these at work all the time fro grimy guitars and they turn out great. Or if your on a budget amd cant spring 20 bucks for polish get the dunlop 65 polish. Spray on let it sit for a few seconds then wipe off. Apply a couple coats if needed
      Gil

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
        Use virtuoso cleaner to cut through the grime. Then The music Nomad one polish. I use these at work all the time fro grimy guitars and they turn out great. Or if your on a budget amd cant spring 20 bucks for polish get the dunlop 65 polish. Spray on let it sit for a few seconds then wipe off. Apply a couple coats if needed
        Gil
        Virtuoso is good stuff.

Comment

Depends on how bad the finish is. You might be able to buff with polich and a buffer, or you may need a light wet sanding and buffing. I'd start with a quality polish and go from there.

Comment

One time I got my hands on a friends old Fender that she was keeping in the garage. It was the dirtiest guitar I'd ever seen. Anyway, I first used a damp rag with a little soap to remove the grime and polished with Dr. Duck's Ax Wax using Dunlop's 5430 guitar finish cloth. It only takes a little to go a long way since it can get kinda greasy if you use too much. I've had the Ax Wax for many years and have plenty of it so I've never tried anything else. My 2 cents

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I have some Dunlop 65 in the mail, we'll see where that gets me. If it doesn't work, I'll get the virtuoso

Comment

you can also treat the paint much like car paint. most of the swirl removers, compounds and glazes work great on beat up guitars. BTW i use furniture polish on my guitars and have for many years.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                  you can also treat the paint much like car paint. most of the swirl removers, compounds and glazes work great on beat up guitars. BTW i use furniture polish on my guitars and have for many years.
                  This^
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I believe in a 3-step approach.

Step 1: Get slightly damp microfibre cloth and give the body a nice wipe.

Step 2: Get one of those guitar scratch remover products - I haven't tried the EternaShine one, but the Big Bends Encore worked well on swirling on my Warrior. Follow the instructions and then;

Step 3: Wipe off the remainder of the scratch remover with the damp microfibre cloth, and apply carnauba wax (car wax) on the body. Apply, wait for a few minutes, wipe off.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                      You shouldn't use furniture polish like pledge etc on musical instruments. They build up and start to hinder the tone of the guitar and will ruin some finishes.

Comment

BillZ should be dropping by shortly with his secret sauce.

Comment

thats odd since Ive been using it for 20+ years and the old man that told me to use it fixed and worked on stringed instruments, violins, cellos that kind of stuff. granted i don't have any guitars shot in Nitro, but ive got small collection of natural BCRichs that have been fine with furniture polish, and BCR paint from back in the day is very thin and soft. & i spray the rag not the guitar, and never use it on bare or oil finished wood like fretboards or necks.

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
                          You shouldn't use furniture polish like pledge etc on musical instruments. They build up and start to hinder the tone of the guitar and will ruin some finishes.

Comment

I like to hit mine with the water hose...if you use a spray nozzle on blast it gets the grime out. Then I buff with a Sham-wow, plug in and rock! JK
                            "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
                            ENGL Powerball II
                            Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
                            Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
                            Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
                            1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
                            1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
                            2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
                            2011 Jackson DK2M Black
                            1987 Charvel Model 2 White
                            2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
                            1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
                            1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
                            2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
                            2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
                            2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
                            2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
                            2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
                            2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
                            2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
                            1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

Originally posted by BigE13 View Post
                              I like to hit mine with the water hose...if you use a spray nozzle on blast it gets the grime out. Then I buff with a Sham-wow, plug in and rock! JK
                              I was told South Carolinian's were a bit backward and you had to be extra wary of them driving on the roads when I was in Virginia, I don't doubt that advice now.

If it's got a thick factory clearcoat and it's poly, yeah, treat it like a car. Use G3 or G4 cutting/polishing compound and then a polishing buffer, like they use after colour sanding and it will cut it back to shine. Don't repeatedly overdo it though otherwise you are through the clearcoat onto the paint.
                              You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Working...
                              X