No announcement yet.

Whats the best way to polish an old guitar the looks like garbage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Migulars scratch X with a polishing pad on a drill. I did a 1989 ESP... wet sanded it first get get the deeper stuff then polished it. Amazing

Comment

Originally posted by 197666 View Post
      Migulars scratch X
      Meguiars you mean

https://www.google.com/search?q=megu...ient=firefox-a
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by 197666 View Post
        Migulars scratch X with a polishing pad on a drill. I did a 1989 ESP... wet sanded it first get get the deeper stuff then polished it. Amazing
        Been using Scratch X for years on both new and used paint...easy to use and fairly difficult to "burn through" the finish. Also great for polishing the tops of old pickups...and for removing any brand names on pickups should you not want your guitar to be a billboard.

Mark
        "Hail to the Wasted".......Zinny J. Zan

Comment

As mentioned, many different products will work. This is the only brand I use and it makes old guitars shine like new. I got this tip on a real bad body I took to a car paint shop friend of mine. After using this and about 5 mins work, it looked new...I've been using it ever since.

https://www.prestaproducts.com/default.aspx

Comment

Most deep grime will come off with your own saliva, work in small areas its free too.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I just used that on my new old soloist it's great. I didn't use a buff or anything just by hand.
              Originally posted by msaint65 View Post
              Been using Scratch X for years on both new and used paint...easy to use and fairly difficult to "burn through" the finish. Also great for polishing the tops of old pickups...and for removing any brand names on pickups should you not want your guitar to be a billboard.

Mark

Comment

I invested $20 in a buffer put out by turtle wax. I use two different compounds. there is a scratch remover/polisher that turtle wax has. I use the sponge pad and apply the turtle wax compound. after that I use Scratch X for a finer polish. change from the sponge pad to the polish pad and work away. I follow a pattern of right to left working my way up and down the body. then up and down across the body. once you have worked the polish for a while you can use a micro fiber cloth to buff to a mirror shine.
                [IMG][/IMG]
                Turn the volume to 10 and rip off the knob!

Currently Shredding:
                2007 Jackson DK2M
                1983 Kramer Pacer Special
                2013 Kramer 5150 Kit
                2000ish RR Knockoff refinish.

Comment

Working...
                X