Best cheap 500k pots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best cheap 500k pots

I am redoing my Gibson sg do I need long or shot shafts, also what are good. Cheap tone capastors?
    2009 black sl1 usa
    fire crackle 3dr dead mint(flawless!!)
    Burgundy mist model 3
    black model 1 emg
    black model 3 h/s/s
    2005 pointy charvel
    2009 black rr1

I can't answer the first part of your question but in regards to the second part, considering the long lifetime you'll get from good quality parts and the relatively low expense of them, don't skimp on pots and caps. Spend the lil bit extra it would cost to get the top shelf stuff and you'll be much happier in the long run.
    In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

You need short shafts since SGs don't have a carved top, but don't take my word for it. CTS pots are good.
      It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
      ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

CTS pots can be had for $5 or less.

Comment

I second the CTS pots. Use 500K short shaft pots for your SG.
          If it's a Gibson, they should fit right in. If it's an Epiphone or other import, you might have to enlarge the holes a bit.
          My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

CTS are great and I have also had very good results with Dimarzio 500K pots...
            "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
            ENGL Powerball II
            Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
            Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
            Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
            1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
            1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
            2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
            2011 Jackson DK2M Black
            1987 Charvel Model 2 White
            2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
            1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
            1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
            2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
            2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
            2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
            2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
            2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
            2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
            2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
            1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

Check with RSguitarworks and get a pre wired kit for your SG.The kit will come with CTS/RS 500+ pots quality caps and extra wire.
              Quality pots and caps make a huge difference.If you are going for a mellow sound opt for the vintage caps and if you are going more for a modern tone go with the modern caps.
              I usually use 550 k in the vol and 490-500k tone.
              The wiring and electronics is not an area where you want to cut corners.
              Your SG takes short shafts.
              Last edited by straycat; 01-09-2013, 10:44 PM.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

250k or 500k pot... when/why would you use one over the other? Is there a benefit of one over the other?
                KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

250K work well for bright single coils. 500K for warmer sounding humbuckers.
                  Models
                  The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
                  I dont need furniture.
                  If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
                  If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
                  And rock that sucker.

Comment

250K are typically for singles which are bright already. They tame the highs.

500K are to keep humbuckers with higher output from getting muddy.

There is no right or wrong way, just what sounds best. For example, Setmour Duncan recommends a 250K pot on a JB to tame the highs.

Comment

I use 300k on a JB and I like the way it smooths them out plus you can get some bite when you need it.
                      Just roll the vol down a little is all you need.
                      Plus you need to learn to use tone knobs to thats why they are there.
                      Always makes me laugh when people complain about a pick up being shrill and won't take the controls off 10.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I have searched high and low through the years for pots that actually spin well without using two hands. Sure you can buy a EVH pot for $12.00, but that gets spendy on a 3 pot guitar or for a few guitars.

Believe it or not, the best pot I have found is a Proline 500k mini pot found at Guitar Center. I'm not trying to pump up GC, but they have the ones that work very well and spin easily. So with a Gibson Explorer where the room to work is very limited in the cavity, I'd go with the mini pot. Same thing as the larger ones, just smaller on the inside of the cavity. BTW, the pots only cost $5.00

New Pot Tip: The pots come new with wax or grease on them. When attempting to solder on this, it doesn't work and makes a huge mess. Scratch the top of the pot with steel wool or a fine sandpaper so the solder will adhere. Prior to placing the pot in the guitar, pre-solder what you need. Example: If you need 3 areas for wires, pre solder 3 tiny dots of solder and if you need the 3rd lug against the body, take care of that too.

Comment

The EVH pots are made by Bournes. The low friction ones. You can find those online for like $3-4
                          H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

After having used mostly CTS (and whatever I could find), I recently bought a whole bunch of Bournes as I found a good place to buy them. I like them. Out of curiousity (and because it was hard to read the inscription), I measured the resistance of the CTS pots I had lying around and they were all over the place. The Bournes, at least the ones I received, were far more consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by BigE13 View Post
                              CTS are great and I have also had very good results with Dimarzio 500K pots...
                              Probably because CTS makes the Dimarzio pots

Comment

Working...
                              X