Wiring 3-way switch to solderless EMG's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring 3-way switch to solderless EMG's

How do you wire a 3 way switch to the buss on the EMG solderless pups?

I can't get it to work for the life of me. The diagram that EMG gives you doesn't seem to work.

This is in a DXMG 2 hum config. Trying to wire up the Het Set, but can't get both pups to work. I can only get the bridge pup to work.

The switch has 8 pins, and the buss has 3 pins (BR, NK and Output)

Those 3 blade switches can be a bit confusing to wire. This is the standard way to wire them up:

BTW, I have the Het Set in my guitar and LOVE them, and I'm not usually a fan of EMG actives. Good choice!
    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Thanks tek, I will try this config. I got sound from the neck, but it's low vol and totally clean, no distortion at all. Weird.

Comment

I have to say that I am digging the Het Set. They are brutal, and sound killer. And that's just with the bridge working, lol

Comment

Yeah its a great sounding set. The bridge sounds kinda like the 81X but better. The neck sounds unlike anything I have heard. Its very beautiful sounding. Great for clean tones, unlike everything else from EMG.
          My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

Comment

I couldn't tell you go the neck sounds, lol

Comment

That diagram isn't working either. I let very low volume in the neck position, with no distortion at all. Is that normal?

I guess I need to call EMG tomorrow

Comment

Someone must have a Jackson with a 3 way switch that they can look at and tell me how it's wired. My DKMG doesn't have the solderless system, so that doesn't help me....

Comment

Just called EMG, phone was answered by a human, and transferred directly to a human, no waiting.

He said he thinks its a bad buss board. Sending me out a new one to try. I think I have an extra one in my parts bin, gonna try it tonight...

Comment

Make sure u dont have a connecer reversed in the buss. Black is ground. The out out of the buss would go to the switch.
                    Gil

Comment

If you are still having issues later, I will post a pic of my DXMG w/EMG 89s and see what that looks like.
                      KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                      I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

I changed the buss and that did not fix the problem. If someone can please tell me how their switch is wired, or post a pic, It would help out greatly.

Comment

I'm thinking it may be a defective pickup. Try swapping the pickups (put the neck pup in the bridge and the bridge pup in the neck) and leave the wiring as it is.
                          If the neck pickup (now in the bridge position) is still not working, then it's the pickup. If it works and the bridge pickup in the neck position isn't working, then it's your wiring.

If it's the wiring:
                          Like JACKSONFREAK said, make sure your wires are facing the right way. The wires should be going black-white, black-white, black-white when viewed with the row of red power connectors above them.
                          Also, make sure you have all 3 red power leads plugged into the red power row of pins. Maybe you're not getting any 9V juice to that neck position.
                          All the plugs on the pots should be installed with the little arrow on the plug facing out. Same with the plugs on the pickups themselves.
                          Last edited by DalyTek; 01-07-2013, 11:45 PM.

Comment

I actually just tried that. I switched the plugs from bridge to neck and nothing. I think the neck pickup is dead. Gonna call them tomorrow and get another one, hopefully.

That being said, I still don't know how to properly wire the 3 way, lol. I've wired this thing so many freaking times, I don't which way is correct, lol

Comment

Originally posted by rdamaral View Post
                              That being said, I still don't know how to properly wire the 3 way, lol. I've wired this thing so many freaking times, I don't which way is correct, lol
                              I direct you back to my first reply.

Comment

Working...
                              X