New pickup rings, high or low?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New pickup rings, high or low?

Hello! I had a set of EMG's installed in my SLX last summer but the pickup rings weren't wide enough to hold the enclosed pickups so the bridge pickup ring cracked.

I'm going to buy a set that has a tad wider pickup cut out but I the only set I can find is a set of two low pickup rings, very thin and flat, kinda like the neck pickup ring that in my guitar right now. Will this effect anything? Do I just need to raise the bridge pickup more to compensate for the lower mounting ring?

Noob question I know but whatever :P

I prefer the look of a pickup ring high enough to hide most of the pickup. And for exposed bobbins, this has a protective values as well.

Have you tried fretsonthenet.com yet? Dave makes custom pickup rings.

Comment

Depending on how high your bridge sits, you might have to crank the pups all the way up and with the thin rings it will look a bit odd. I would at the very least get larger rings that match the height of the ones that were on the guitar originally. They are out there...
      "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
      ENGL Powerball II
      Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
      Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
      Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
      1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
      1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
      2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
      2011 Jackson DK2M Black
      1987 Charvel Model 2 White
      2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
      1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
      1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
      2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
      2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
      2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
      2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
      2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
      2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
      2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
      1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

I am wondering a similar thing. I was looking on Stew Mac and for the gold no angle they have one size 7/64. This is a little taller than the neck on RRXMG (4/64) & shorter than the bridge which is (12/64). Any one know if there are some stock metal gold with the OEM height?
        KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
        I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Working...
        X