Broken head stock on Gibby, need some help and tips.I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken head stock on Gibby, need some help and tips.I

So I got this SG from my friend who dropped it like an ass. Basically the info I need is what glue and clamps to buy to be able to fix this poor thing. Also any and all tips will be of great help, like how long should I let it dry for and where to put the clamps.

I use Titebond III. Slightly open the break up to work the glue into every nook and cranny , thin with water and use a syringe to get it into the harder to reach areas. Put some blue painters tape on two flat wood blocks, then place a block on the top and bottom and clamp securely for 24 hours with at least two clamps using even pressure. Be sure to clean as much excess off as you can before it dries. The painters tape will ensure that the clamping blocks dont stick to the headstock and will protect the finish as well.

Obviously remove the struss rod cover, strings and tuners before doing any of this.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Titebond II and III are more susceptible to creep (and eventual joint failure) than Titebond I (which is what I recommend). The only real differences between the two are waterproofing properties.

Practice dry clamping the stuff first. Painters tape (as mentioned) can keep your clamp cauls from sticking, but I generally use wax paper around cauls, as glue will not adhere to it.

This might be of assistance, but pardon the rambling.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I agree with Sully. Altho I use elmers carpenters glue. Dry test the clamping first Make sure it's all a tight fit and a good alignment with the clamps first. A clamoing caul will help. (tge pieces of wood you mentioned) and as Sully said use waxed paper instead of tape. Take it slow and do it right the first time. Spread the break a bit and try to get glue into the end of the cracks. Use a syringe if needed. I've used paper, toothpicks etc, to get the glue deep into to breaks. If the truss rod is esposed thru the break. Slip some waxed paper arounf it so the glue wont make it stick.
        Gil
        Last edited by JACKSONFREAK; 12-26-2012, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys!! Now Sully what is that pad you are putting on the clamp? Something I can get at Home Depot? And if I were to get wax paper would I put it underneath that pad or does the pad completely eliminate the need for the wax paper? Again thanks for the info and the time you guys took to respond.

Comment

Waxes paper would go on top of the break and the block or wood.

Comment

Heres some pics of a LP Studio i fixed with a similar break.

Gil

Comment

Originally posted by bucketbrian45 View Post
                Thanks for the info guys!! Now Sully what is that pad you are putting on the clamp? Something I can get at Home Depot? And if I were to get wax paper would I put it underneath that pad or does the pad completely eliminate the need for the wax paper? Again thanks for the info and the time you guys took to respond.
                It's a 3M rubber squeegee that's generally used for wetsanding. As Gil covered, wax paper between the headstock and your clamping cauls.
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I watched the whole Les Paul Studio restore last night Sully. But I though you said you were going to put binding on the body (and maybe the neck too?). Did I miss you mentioning that you scrapped that idea during the series? Maybe I'm just going crazy :P

Comment

I don't remember if I mentioned abandoning the idea, but I'm glad that I had. I think it looked better all blacked out.
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

You guys have to stop looking at those Gibby headstocks so hard.
                      My hair is on fire!!!!!My hair is on fire!!!!!!
                      Marshall 2205, 6100, 6100LM, JMP-1, EL84 20/20, VHT 2/50/2, Marshall 1960A & B cabs, '79 Strat, '84 Pacer, '98 Wolfgang, '08 Charvel San Dimas x 3.

Comment

...either that, or Gibson needs to use sound construction methods.
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I'm gonna be doing it sometime this weekend. I will follow up with good news hopefully lol.

Comment

PM Sent

Comment

If you value that guitar, take it to a reputable luthier. That looks like a clean break, and a true pro repair will be virtually undetectable.

Comment

Working...
                              X