Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good Reference Headphones for Playback/Practice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Reference Headphones for Playback/Practice?

So, I'm building a system and wanted to get a really good set of headphones for playback and for practice. I'm looking at a $200-300 budget, but lower is great of course if I can get it without sacrificing quality.

Recommendations? Thanks!

I have a pair of Sony MDR-V 150's low buck but very good.I tested 8 or 10 pair one day for practice purposes.
    IIRC these were in the $40.00 range and were just as good or better than ones at $150.00 on up.
    I had a pair of Sennhieser's(sp) that were $199.00 ish and they were no better than the Sony's.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I swear by Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro both for home and for work. I do research in audio signal processing and often need to do formal and informal listening tests, and I use the Beyerdynamic all the time.
      Last edited by javert; 12-12-2012, 12:59 PM.

Comment

I don't know how they compare but I bought some Sennheiser HD 280 Pros based on the recommendation of folks here a few years back. I couldn't find any of the recommended Beyers or Kosses and found the Senns locally for a good price.

A common complaint of the 280s is that they lack low end. They were a bit tight in the bottom end right out of the box. I left them hooked up to an ipod while I was out for the day to break the speakers in. They have been great ever since.
        Hail yesterday

Comment

If it's just for playing and listening, I LOVE my Sennheiser HD202 phones.. Must be opposite the 280 because these have really nice low end for listening to. They're probably not very good for mixing as they are not very flat. But great for listening. And CHEAP!!!
          Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
            I have a pair of Sony MDR-V 150's low buck but very good.I tested 8 or 10 pair one day for practice purposes.
            IIRC these were in the $40.00 range and were just as good or better than ones at $150.00 on up.
            I had a pair of Sennhieser's(sp) that were $199.00 ish and they were no better than the Sony's.
            +1

I have these, and I bought some AGK's.

When playing thru a POD, I like the tone thru the Sony's better. A little thicker, fatter. The AGK's I bought are a little too "hi-fi"ish. (Rob will love that one )

I'd pick the AGK's for listening to the iPhone or iPod.

Comment

I forgot to add that the Beyerdynamic I mentioned are well-known for their excellent response at low frequencies. Anyways, I think that as soon as you get beyond a certain threshold (price-wise), then all the headphones by the well-known brands are pretty good.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. Got a great deal on the Beyerdynamic's so I went in that direction.

Comment

Working...
                X