Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shimmy shimmy cocoa puff

Hey guys,
    So I got my schaller in and the r2 nut is about 1/8" too low; I know this because the r4 nut that came along with the guitar is 1/8" higher and the strings sit well. I'd keep the r4 in there but I like the r2 spacing more.

I figure I shoud shim with a piece of wood over plastic or cardboard, etc? If so, any suggestions where I can get a piece of wood that I can work with? Home depot? Only real tool I have to work with is a dremel...

1/8" seems like quite a bit to shim the nut. Is this going on an import? I think they took different height nuts than the USA's with real floyds. The R2 is 1/8" thinner too, right? If it was me, I think I'd try to find a better fitting one or stick with the R4. The R3 is the same as a R4 but with narrow string spacing. That maybe what you want?

If you are going to shim it, I'd probably see how a free home depot paint stick works. It's probably about 1/8" or a bit thicker. You could cut it to size with a utility knife in a pinch and sand it to the thickness you need. No matter what, it's gonna be really visible. Good luck man.
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Hey thanks for the help/advice. I ended up just using some business cards that I cut up. It actually was a little less than 1/8". This is on a 375 DLX.

Yup, the R2 is thinner, but it doesn't bother me too much, I think I like the string spacing a bit better than the R4 spacing.

I was just working with what I had, I guess. The guitar came with an R4, and my schaller kit came with an R2 so I tried that.

Paint stick is a great idea as well. What I have now is definitely thinner than that, but like you said, I can just grind/sand it down.

Thanks again for the help!

Jon

Comment

You could try R3 nut on that guitar if you want to get rid of that shim. R3 nut is the same height as R4. http://www.floydrose.com/faqs.php

Comment

If keeping the R2, I'd use something more solid than business card. Go to a hobby store like Michael's or Hobby Lobby and ask for some sheet brass and cut it out.

Comment

Working...
          X